Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Hindsight

Last night, on that wondrous lip of near-sleep where the answers to everything can be found, I finally came up with the perfect words to speak to a situation that has caused me great anguish and confusion. The words felt as though they'd been written for me by a great speech writer, and they so accurately summed up what I felt that I was even impressed with myself.

The problem? They were words I needed over a month ago, once again proving that hindsight is the only clear vision.

I am trying not to feel frustrated at how I let slide what I really wanted to say, what was really true for me. I am trying to let go all around. And thought I had, until last night those words rose so silky true in my mind, unprotected by my habit of making nice.

I must remind myself in the words of one of my favorite poet-philosopher, Bob Marley: You can't please all the people all the time (okay, so he didn't originate the lines, but it sounds better set to Reggae music).

3 Comments:

At 8:37 AM, Blogger LitPark said...

This is how fights go, too. Later, in the shower, you think of all the cool responses you could have had, and your voice isn't shaking.

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Myfanwy Collins said...

I think they are just as valuable (if not more) to you now than they would have been a month ago, Jordan. The sad fact is that even if you had given your perfect speech, the person may not have listened or really HEARD you anyway. And so these words are really for you and you have them now as your very own and don't need to waste them on anyone else. xo

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Yes Susan, it's true. Later is the perfect time for everything.

Myf: I appreciate this point. Maybe things happen exactly as they are supposed to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home