Sunday, January 21, 2007

Pan's Labyrinth

I don't usually do movie reviews here, but the movie, Pan's Labyrinth was so amazing that I just have to. The movie delivered every bit of what I hoped for from it, but it's a difficult movie to talk about in usual movie terms because it must be experienced in much the same way a Jackson Pollack must be...you can't describe it later without leaving out what made it truly great.

Still, I'll say this:

Without the use of boring Lucas-esque computer-generated images it contains some of the most powerful, scary, beautiful, vivid imagery I've possibly ever seen in a movie. The eye-less, skin-sagging baby-eater; the insect that transforms into a fairy; the mandrake root becoming infant-like, and of course, glorious Pan himself.

The child actress was luminous and good without being superciliously cute in that way of pageant children. And though there were still some stereotypes--the villain is so villainous, for instance--it is a movie that will transport you, and make you think hard about what it takes for the human psyche to survive trauma and tragedy.

I highly recommend it--there's something in it for everyone, dudes and chicks alike. But don't be misled by the trailers, this is not a movie to bring children to!


See it.

3 Comments:

At 7:36 PM, Blogger NicaGirl said...

I wholeheartedly agree. One of the best movies ever. I have not been able to get it out of my head since seeing it Friday night. What a disappointment that it did not win the Golden Globe but let's hope it gets the recognition it deserves at the Oscars. I was just very impressed with the whole cast. Especially to find out that Doug Jones (Pan/The Pale Man) doesn't even speak Spanish. His lines were flawless and he definitely sounded like a native speaker. I never would have guessed that he is not even remotely fluent.

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Laini Taylor said...

I'm dying to see Pan's Labyrinth, Jordan! We'll definitely see it in the next few days. And the cover of your book is awesome! I love the design. Can't wait to read it!

 
At 5:16 AM, Blogger gerry rosser said...

Thanks for the review.
Gotta see it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home