Friday, February 09, 2007

A lot of people don't feel sorry for self-destructive types when they eventually meet their fate. People felt that Steve Irwin was asking for it, what with all his taunting of crocodiles and poisonous snakes, even though the manner of his death was highly unusual. And I'm sure there are many who feel that way about Anna Nicole Smith., who seemed the poster girl for addiction. While I certainly subscribe to the idea that we create the situations in which we find ourselves, and I do believe she had drug/alcohol problems, I still think it's sad.

What a strange and sad road her life was. I always wonder if people have premonitions about their death. Did she know weeks or days before that she would be dead at 39 leaving behind her five month old baby, who doesn't even have a sure-fire father (that Howard K. Stern fellow...yikes. ) Maybe she didn't care.

I also find it amusing to hear people like Hugh Hefner and Larry King suddenly having nice things to say about her. It's hard to disparage a dead person. Especially one we were happy to exploit while she was alive.

JPR

4 Comments:

At 3:21 PM, Blogger Ms. Lori said...

You know, Jordan, I always, ALWAYS used to stick up for Anna. Folks never did get my sympathy for her. After all, she was nothing but a floozy, a gold-digger, a pill-popping, big-titted idiot, yeah? Why would I side with someone like that, why defend someone so obviously self-destructive and stupid, and (name your epithet of choice)...

And I never could answer them. Still can't. But I felt a ridiculous and wholly unexplainable kinship with that woman, an empathy that defies logic. Poor girl...

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

For me, Lori, it's clear that Anna never got a chance to grow up. So despite that she looked like a big-titted woman, all I ever saw was a sexed up little girl. And it's hard not to see a person like that as being constantly taken advantage of. Like if Jon Benet Ramsey had grown up...I think that would have been her destiny, too.

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I wouldn't ever say Steve Irwin got what he deserved, but I think what he did to some animals amounted to torture (and I wasn't surprised when one poked him to death). But I don't think Anna's in the same camp because the only person she seemed to torture was herself, which seems entirely different and far sadder. I thought Margaret Cho had a nice tribute to her along the lines of what you and Ms. Lori are expressing.

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger gerry rosser said...

My first response to Ms. Smith's death was that she left a motherless, and (so far) fatherless child behind. My latest response is that I'm tired of hearing about it.

As for Mr. Irwin, I always felt his show was like that Mutual of Omaha show where they always rounded up some poor animal and took it someplace besides where it had decided it wanted to be. I love wildlife documentaries, I do not like to see animals pestered, grabbed, etc. After he died everyonew quoted "Crikey" forgetting one of the other things he said so often (with his Aussie accent): "Danger, danger, danger."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home