Thursday, July 19, 2007











On Strike

For more than 30 days (32, to be precise) I have been on a sugar moratorium. This is not because I am on some fad diet or because I wanted to lose weight. Rather, every once in awhile my body goes on the physiological equivalent of a labor union strike. Nothing gets done, negotiatons with various bodily systems fail, and there's nothing for me to do but retreat and clear out the building.

Sugar is always the number one culprit, along with dairy, assorted wheat products, anything refined, etc. So, this means that for 32 days I have enjoyed NONE of the following among my former favorites:

--Chocolate (which rules out all assorted candy bars: twix, reese's fast break; kitkat, etc)
--Cookies/cakes/cupcakes/pie
--Caramel in all its glorious forms
--Ice cream (esp. mochi ice cream treats from Trader Joe's or Caramel Sutra, from B& J)
--Pudding of any type (Bananas Foster, chocolate and Rice pudding being among my faves)
--Skittles and red vines--long my movie theater staples

Now, I'm not perfect. I still put sugar in my coffee (and yes, I still drink 1 cup a day--but not two or three anymore. And any sugar I put in is brown, unrefined). I have had a sip or three of someone's soda. I also eat fruit. In fact, I eat scads of fruit (yes, I see the connection) but strangely, no matter how many nectarines, bundles of grapes, peaches, cherries or blueberries I ingest (and 100% fruit juices, too), my body does not treat them like other sugar. No blood sugar lows, no weight gain (I have, inadvertently lost weight but that's neither here nor there), no pains in my tummy and other things that fall into the category of "too much information." I also eat a lot more veggies (which is kind of like saying a Panda eats a lot more Bamboo--I always ate a lot)...but fewer refined carbohydrates and more good protein.

I have way more energy, very little late-afternoon crashing. And I am actually starting to crave all those forbidden goodies a whole lot less. The cravings don't subside entirely, but I just keep reminding myself: There will always be junk food should you need it. Always, no matter where you go.

In its wake, I have become an addict of one snack including a new product (Please, I don't want to hear about its cancer causing potential) I now can't live without: Smart Balance "Buttery spread." Oh I know how dubious that sounds--but it actually tastes BETTER than butter to me, with less greasy residue in the mouth.


4 Comments:

At 1:44 PM, Blogger Twilight Spy said...

Love the Smart Balance. Though it comes in a container regretfully similar to the tub o' crap margarine I used ot eat, it's much more healthy and pretty damn tasty too. Congrats on the healthy livin'.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Maryanne Stahl said...

hmmmmmmmm.

btw: you're tagged!

please see my bog of July 19 for further details!

xxx

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Fionnix said...

Smart Balance is pretty good. We end up with Promise more, though, but I can't remember why... there was a valid reason.

I made these great banana muffins... with extra fiber and protein, of course... and my Mister slathered each one with Promise.

Jordan, I'm proud of you for taking good care of yourself.

I'm also proud of your August 2007 article in Writer's Digest. It's been a while since I sat down with a copy, actually. I was so thrilled to see your name I ran through the house yelling, "My friend, Jordan! Look! Jordan!"

You're a delight to read.

~ Rhi ;)

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Tracer: Yes, it does share an unfortunate resemblance to margarine, but not in taste, and that's what counts!

Maryanne: Oh thanks! I might just re-post my last tag :)

Fionnix: I'll have to try Promise. And hey, thanks for the sweet words about my WD article. It's always fun to realize that people actually read that magazine--even better when my friends are proud of me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home