Friday, July 06, 2007

In which Michael O'Keefe and I Trade Bodies

As I was putting on my face moisturizer in the mirror, my own image triggered a memory of my crazy-ass dream from last night.

In it, I switched bodies (accidentally) with a man. The man, for some reason, was Michael O'Keefe--an actor (unfortunately Caddyshack will always stain his resume) who was also one of my Bennington classmates.








I fully remember the corporeal feeling of lumbering around in this male body. The weight of my legs was amazing. I had to really effort to move this big, male body around. It was kind of cool at the same time as it was nervewracking.
Then, in the men's bathroom, for some reason I was putting on pants. But because I was so unaccustomed to this male body, I was having a lot of trouble with my pants, and trying not to let the other guy in the bathroom notice something was off. But he clearly did. And then he crossed his legs (yeah, I know, he wasn't even sitting down a second ago--but this is a dream!) in a very masculine way and I realized that I was still going about things like a woman and that this was going to give me away (why I had to keep this body switching thing secret, I don't know).

Then, since we were on the Bennington campus, I knew that Michael was wearing MY body somewhere and that if I found him I would get the unique experience of seeing myself from the outside! So I tracked "myself" down and found me lying out on the commons, with my eyes closed (kind of like I am in the blog photo up there). My first impression was a slight judgment--my nose was too big and angular; I looked too much like my mother...but then "I" opened "my" eyes and I thought, "Hey, I'm not so terrible."

Weird, eh?

4 Comments:

At 5:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting dream -- shades of 'Being John Malkovich'.

I'm curious, why knock Mr. O'Keefe for Caddyshack? If I played a role in one of the best-known and well-loved comedies of all time, I'd be proud of it. 'The Hot Chick' on the other hand... not so much.

;)

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Twilight Spy said...

My brain is exploding...no, no...imploding...no, aaaaaagggh.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Jesse: You have to understand that Michael himself, who won an Oscar for The Great Santini, is remembered for caddyshack...though he never said it in so many words, you could tell he sort of wished to put that one behind him :)

Tracy: Your cackling says everything!

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Michelle Richmond said...

What a weird, fun dream. Now I'm wondering whose body I'd most like to inhabit if I could dream myself a guy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home