Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Felonious notions

I recently found a few people on Myspace that I went to camp with (Real Adventure Camp and Gunning Creek Adventures). Camp was a big part of my life from ages 11-17 every summer--a place where I was accepted when that lacked in my other social life. In reconnecting it hit me that the person I am today is so different from that "camp" girl that I wonder if these old friends would "recognize" me if given the chance. In the past decade I have busted a bunch of beliefs that I held about myself for most of my life. It's painful to remember the "fragile" girl I was who believed she was so limited. But I was a child in a vacuum, so if it took me about twice as long as other people to do this, I think that's acceptable.

It's amazing to me how easily we can limit ourselves...how quick I was to buy into my own illusions. I cringe to think how I nearly didn't allow myself to find out and have fun doing some of these things (dance, run, swim, cook, go to grad school, marry a wonderful person, play sports, make things with my hand, speak publicly, etc)...


9 Comments:

At 3:53 PM, Blogger e said...

You can do or be anything you want.

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger e said...

just don't be Michael O'Keefe, mkay?

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Darn it...but that was my first choice!!

heheheheheh

Thanks, sweetie. I'm everything I am because I have you.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger atresillado said...

ups... be careful not to make us too jealous, ok?

:) You give me encouragement, really. It's nice to see a nice couple out there. Then, it is possible.

Love you both & it's great to know you're happy,

Patricia

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Fionnix said...

Wowzer, I relate.

Once a well meaning Methodist youth minister took me outside and said, "Lighten up." Just like that. Lighten up, kid.

I was crushed. I cried. And cried. She didn't understand. No one did. I didn't understand. And, I definitely didn't know how to lighten up, especially on demand.

Even now, I have to remind myself to chill out and open up.

When my sweet Mister and I first met a friend suggested a mantra I still use, though now months later not as often, "..." (Crap, I can't recall, which is a good sign. Right? It was something like, "Relax. Life is good. Relax." But, not that boring. Well, maybe that boring.)

Anyhoo.

The point is, I understand.

Like you, I wonder how people from my childhood, who knew me to be tense and serious and emotional, would take me now.

I'm proud of both of us for being open and willing to live a full, joy-filled life.

Childhood can be rough, but we're safe and life is good.

Thanks for sharing this, Jordan.

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Amy Davidson said...

I enjoyed this post very much, being one of those old friends from summer camp. Although my glimpse into your life is limited, you do seem very, very different. So grown up, so self-assured. I, on the other hand, sometimes fret that I am too much the person everyone expected of me. I skipped my high school reunion this summer because I didn't want to fulfill all those stereotypes: Yes, I live in a big city; no, I'm not married; yes, I have a 'fancy' job and work a lot of hours; etc.

Who else did you find out there in the ether?

 
At 12:27 AM, Blogger claudia.haase said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger claudia.haase said...

Hi there! It's Claudia - would love to get in touch!

 
At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recall those days to be the most famous of my life. Small I thought of myself but the place and the people allowed. I'm sure we know each other Jordan, I have since taken 11 people to old mans pool and favor calling it the place I love most on earth but thats a lie. It wasn't the place , it was the people that allowed us to grow teach and become who we are today. just running a search and finding what I thought was either lost or just me being silly confirms I was right . It was not just a place of passion and love but a home for the soul. I would be happy to talk with you and share old times but I don't do my name on the net as I'm in net security now. go figure. let me know how we can talk. I look forward to it =)
ex camper, cilt,counselor and top dawg who misses yall!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home