Friday, March 02, 2007

I may just have some very cool news in the next week or so that would bring together two of my loves--literature and radio. But I will say nothing until there's something for sure to say.

Meanwhile, tell me you don't think this is weird...I picked up two books at random at the library. Two novels by authors I've read before. I didn't even read the jackets, just went by titles alone. Both of these books feature: A character who has been struck by lightning and survived death AND a character who takes a job as a part-time librarian.

I ask you...what on earth are the statistical chances of that? About the same as being struck by lightning? Should I be more careful in storms? Have I missed my calling in library science? It tells me that the spirit of synchronicity is alive and well.

This last week has been a great reminder that you get out of life exactly as much as you put in (and on occasion, when you least expect it, you get a little more than you put in). I'm back from my malaise. The darkness of winter feels behind us, even if it still has more than a month to go. There's plenty of goodness to be had!

JPR

7 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger atresillado said...

Where you ever struck by lightning? I guess not.
I was surprised to read this because yesterday, I witnessed, for the 1st time in my life, how a lightning struck a house, some 100 mts from my working place, just accross the lake. The roof completely disappeared from the house and there was fire on it. I was just watching that direction and I saw it coming down (or up... don't know). It felt as if it was coming in my direction and I felt super afraid those 2 or 3 seconds that the thing lasted. Just by chance a little boy was not killed.

What did you mean by the coincidence with being struck by a lightning?

It's great to read you so positive.

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Okay, I've read a book in which the character was struck by lightening and works at a library. It was by someone sort of famous, but I don't remember the title. So what were the two books? And have you been struck by lightening?

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

No, I was never struck, Patricia. But a man was struck to death in a town near where I lived.

Stephanie: I think it's The Ice Queen, by Alice Hoffman that you read, and...ugh, I've already forgotten the second title...a Jodi Picoult book...too lazy to go get it :)

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Twilight Spy said...

Yes, what were the two books? I find this kind of thing very interesting and sometimes I wonder if, at this very moment, there isn't a novel hitting the shelves with the exact same plot as mine. I know while studying with Alice we both had a story about a woman named Ruth and her sister who was getting married. Alice's, of course, was then published in her latest wonderful collection. I'm working on collecting rejection slips for mine.
Ah well . . .

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

I read The Ice Queen pretty recently and LOVED it.

But that's one of the craziest coincidences, Jordan. There just HAS TO be some meaning there.

Can't wait to hear your news!

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger tricia stirling said...

welcome back, jordan. i am going to try to follow you into the light..

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Tracy, Ellen and Tricia...thanks for stopping by.

Mood adjusting is no easy task, but it's worth it if you get to the other side.

Tracy: I pretty much count on the fact that what I write will be outdated by the time I try to sell it :) But recycled ideas are published all the time.

Ellen: I remember you just blogged about two Alice Hoffman books you read. That's what got me to pick her up again!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home