Thursday, September 07, 2006

Perro Problema

I have been intending to learn Spanish for a long time, and have come to almost feel criminal for not speaking it while living in California. So you can imagine the irony that I am forced to learn a small vocabulary of Spanish words in order to speak to my neighbors. They consist of, and loosely translate to something like this:

--Your dog barking always.
--Please, I no sleep.
--All nights dog barking.
--Big problem your dog, me no sleeping.


Right now I am working on the phrases (which sound like some kind of crazy Haiku, don't they?):

--Your dog not stop barking, me go fucking nuts.
--Me not know why dog disappear suddenly, no
--Gate open? Dog gone? How bizarre!

5 Comments:

At 10:32 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Some neighbors who just moved away had a Rottie that barked all the time, all day, all night. It drove everyone nuts, but no one said anything to the owners.

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger atresillado said...

Hehehehehehe.
You'll have, maybe, your big start in Spanish in January ;)

Apart from making communication easier with your neighbours, you'll read Borges, G. García Márquez, Felisberto Hernández, Sábato, Bioy Casares. You'll understand the lyrics from great Spanish singers...

You'll understand Almodovar's films and be able to see Argentine movies that are great.

And last but not least... you'll understand Pedro's anecdotes.

:)

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Leona Laurie said...

You don't want to go all Elaine on that dog, Jordan. Her relief was immediate, but the act haunted her!

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Susan, yes well this is language learning borne out of sheer necessity.

Steph: I'm amazed how neighbors overlook it. Though months back people would shout "shut your dog up" out their windows, but that stoped.

Patricia: Yes, I can't wait to read my favorite writers in their native language! And Almodovar films will be even richer!

Leona: I didn't see that episode, but trust me, by day I'm a truly decent person. At night, not so much after hours of barking.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger BarkingDogATLAS said...

Is your neighbor's barking dog driving you crazy? You can now add them to the Barking Dog ATLAS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home