Thursday, September 07, 2006

A Matter of Perception

Last night it was my turn as designated neighbor-scolder to deal with the dog problem, as I described in my last post. I remember glancing at the clock, it was around 10:10 p.m--though my clock is a few minutes fast. I walked around the corner and up to the neighbor's door, said my spiel, and then, as I was leaving, I heard shouting--screaming really--and could tell that some kind of commotion was coming from the very end of the train tracks that run behind our place. I thought I heard someone yell out, "Go home," and some swearing, and I thought that it must be gang related activity, which there is a bit of down in these parts. I pulled my collar up around my neck and hustled back to my door to the sound of police sirens.

Later in the night loud helicopters roared overhead and E. surmised there must be some kind of manhunt...

We checked our locks and turned on the porchlight.

This morning I decided to find out what had happened, and here is what I found in the San Jose Mercury News. Notice the time mentioned in the article. Not gang warfare after all. And to think, while I was lambasting my neighbor, this guy was dying, or already dead.

18-year-old Morgan Hill man killed by freight train
By Leslie Griffy
Mercury News

An 18-year-old Morgan Hill man died Wednesday night after being struck by a freight train on Depot Street, police said today.

Victor Adrian Sandoval was attempting to cross the Union Pacific Railroad tracks in front of an oncoming train when he was hit around 10:11 p.m. Wednesday, according to Morgan Hill Police.
The teen had been drinking and skateboarding with friends at a park that abuts the train stop, police said.

Sandoval's friends, a group of 16- to 25-years-old who had been at the skate park, witnessed the crash and were upset. Some attempted to fight with officers investigating the accident, Commander Joe Sampson said.

One 16-year-old boy was arrested and released to his parents.

Union Pacific Railroad police are working with the Morgan Hill Police Department on the investigation.

6 Comments:

At 4:02 AM, Blogger Myfanwy Collins said...

How horrible and tragic and scary all in one.

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger atresillado said...

Wouldn't you change the expression "were upset"?

How sad and what a coincidence!

As if to say: a barking dog is bad but there are some worse things.

Or it can give you the idea of what to do with the dog if they stop him from barking! ;)

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger atresillado said...

sorry: if they DON'T stop him from barking

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger Ms. Lori said...

Oh, lord. I'm shaking my head at the senselessness of it all...

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Myfanwy: Yes indeed.

Patricia: Yes I'd change it to: "were severely traumatized."

Lori:You have to wonder if combining drunkenness, skateboarding and trains isn't a bit of a deathwish, eh?

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

It's amazing how many people get killed by trains. Something like that happened around here recently to two kids about the same age.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home