Monday, September 11, 2006

Hold the Words in your Hand

Despite how that last post sounded, I am not jaded yet by the publishing industry. I refuse to be. Strange new things happen all the time, and you just don't know when your great idea and the market are going to be, well, on the same page.

I also am one of the believers that books will never truly die, never really give way to the e-book and the various seductions of technology. I think there is something about the book that reminds us of our own awakening as a species, that serves as proof that we evolved from shelf-browed neanderthals to a thinking species with a penchant for storytelling and a tendency to put our thoughts on record in permanent ways (as permanent as human record will ever be).

When I saw this case full of gorgeous, Egyptian cuneiform stones at the Rosicrucian Museum, somehow it gave me more faith in the written word and our desire to hold it in our hands.







JPR

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home