Thursday, July 06, 2006

I am beginning an on-going cumulative list of things I have newly discovered which were once popular, went out of fashion, came back into fashion and are out again because that's how long it takes for me to get around to anything popular:

Bananas Foster. I don't know who Foster was, but I thank him for lending his name or his culinary savvy to this divine dessert for the Banana-inclined (of which, i think, there are sadly too few). Bananas have a perfumey, custard-ready quality that makes them perfect as a pudding. I think that's cinnamon sauce at the bottom, but I'm not sure, as I ate it faster than I could actually look at it. I may be the only person I know that bought the Banana Bubbalicious gum when it was made back in 1978 or some such. I think it was only on the shelves for a year or so, but I never forgot it.

Sex and the City. Okay, so you were all right! It's great, it really is. I'm glad though to be viewing it at an age where I don't have to wander into the kitchen and ask my mom what things are (apparently this was a problem when I was reading The Mists of Avalon at age ten--"Mom, what does 'his meaty manhood' mean?").

David Sedaris. Where HAVE I been? I mean, I have heard the occasional essay on NPR, but for one of my trips up to P-town I rented his book on CD: Dress Your Family in Corduroy and just about peed myself. Since then, I can't get enough of him. "Six to Eight Black Men" has got to be my all time favorite (In the Netherlands, we learn that Santa used to be the Bishop of Turkey..."Hold on. Santa didn't used to be anything..." and my personal favorite line beginning: "Dutch parents have a hairier tale to tell their children. Tonight you might want to pack a few of your belongings. The former Bishop of Turkey is coming...with six to eight black men. He might leave candy in your shoes...or he might beat you with a switch, or stuff you into a sack and take you to Spain. We don't know, but we just want to be prepared...") See, I'm laughing again!

6 Comments:

At 7:35 AM, Blogger Ms. Lori said...

Oooh, love Sedaris. Have you read "Naked" yet? OMG, the story about his grandmother and the towels...

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

I'm waiting to get it on audio because I love hearing him read his own stories.

He kills me!

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Katie said...

I just put Naked on my to read list. I can't believe I haven't read Sedaris yet.

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Katie said...

And Bananas Foster MMMMMMM! I've only heard people talking about it in movies from the 60s & 70s but never actually knew what it was.

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Katie, yeah, come on girl, get with the David Sedaris!

Jesse: My point exactly.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Joy: Okay, you win.

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home