Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Have you asked yourself why you work so hard? Why you slave at a job that you probably find dissatisfying on some levels if not all. One that probably doesn't pay you enough money, has a miserable commute, or insufferable co-workers?

What's the answer you come up with? Do you work hard to buy stuff, to finance travel, to pay off debt?

Have you wondered what your life might be like if you worked less hard. If you didn't need as much stuff/vacations/have so much debt?

Lately I've been thinking about how many people I know work hard for a future outcome, sacrificing their current health/happiness/ability to be present. Oh, I include myself, too, though I'm really aiming to enjoy my life a lot more on all levels.

How much do you sacrifice now for the future? What if there was no future? If it ended tomorrow. Would your "today" life be worth it?

I'm working to ensure that I can answer "yes" to that.

In the spirit of this, I'm kicking my feet up and listening to my ipod when I should be working. Oh don't worry. I'll get it done. I always do. But I want ten minutes of bliss. Don't you?

JPR

4 Comments:

At 7:23 AM, Blogger atresillado said...

Good thinking and good purpose!

I've thought a lot about this and I've seen a lot of people around who worry more about the present and they are surprisingly successful (they don't have a lot of money but life gets solved for them in some way).

If people would work less they would have more time to think and feel & they would probably not allow things they do when submerged in the everyday rush.

Politicians get their power thanks to this and we run to buy the last electric appliance or the new deodorant or things we don't really need because we are not conscious, we are not here and now.

We "live" for the future. And the future never arrives. Future is illusion.

But, I'm sure we can make a huge change if we make a little effort to be more here and more now.

I'm with you.

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Fionnix said...

10 minutes of bliss would be grand. Thank you for this post. My "today" wasn't worth it today, or this week, or this month. I'm working to change that, though-- trying not to let today bog me down beyond the reasonable mourning period.

This morning I woke up with the spirit of "I can do it. I can suffer through. It won't be forever, just for now. Just do it. It's just a job." But, especially after reading this, it's time to take more decisive action. Sure, time will cling for a few more weeks, maybe even months. But, soon. Soon more freedom. Soon more happiness. Soon a lot of things... now for action. The ball is rolling. Hopefully it will pick up speed.

You're awesome. Hope I tell you that enough.

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Good thoughts all around on this, Jordan.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Yes, all of you make good points.

Down, good attitude! PS--is this Robin?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home