Friday, June 16, 2006

The classic rejection letter from a literary agent comes with the phrase, “I’m sorry but I just didn’t fall in love with your work,” prompting many writers to guffaw and say, “who was talking love, just cop a cheap feel and I’m yours!”

Perhaps this is gauche to write about, but I can’t help it. After having written five novels, two of which were represented and shopped to publishers with no success; after going through graduate school (MFA) which was as discouraging as it was sublime (so much competition!); after struggling to write something that other people would want to read and staying true to my own creative sensibilities, I can finally say: An agent is in love with my novel. Her words!

But you want to know something? I am in love with my novel too. This is the first novel I’ve written that I think about during the day the way I thought about my husband in the throes of first bliss (actually, I still think about him like that, but don’t tell). But don’t think me just narcissistic; we writers have to fall in love with our own work. The same way you fall in love with a mate, which is to say, you see all the flaws, potential, complications, and you STILL love it. Not because you think every word you write is a gem, or because you think you are somehow guaranteed happiness, wealth and admiration, but why would you spend every day slaving away at a creation that you hated? What would be the point in that? There will be plenty of other people to hate it for you.

JPR

9 Comments:

At 10:32 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I'm thrilled for you!

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Fionnix said...

That is excellent news!!!!!!!!!

 
At 3:26 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

Hooray for Jordan! This is your year, baby!!

We'll get to celebrate together!

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger Myfanwy Collins said...

YAY!!!! :)


Love you, Jordan! So happy about this news.

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

That is AWESOME news! Congrats!

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

All of you with your kind words, thank you. I'm pretty jazzed myself. Meeting up with her on Wednesday.

J

 
At 5:35 AM, Blogger RobinSlick said...

Ah, I just swung by to wish you good luck today -- for some reason I had my days switched.

Well, good luck tomorrow, then! Not that you'll need it -- I'm thinking this is going to be nothing more than a lovefest.

And I get to celebrate with you too! Julie has found us some crazy places for lunch in the Village on Friday...one is a vegetarian do it yourself (meaning, you select the ingredients out of a list of like 50 things) fondue restaurant. She's still researching...

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Patry Francis said...

There's no stopping a woman in love!
Go, Jordan!

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Ms. Lori said...

***screech***

Fantastic news, Jordan!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home