Wednesday, June 21, 2006

New York has disappointed me. The past two days it has been unreasonably temperate. Where are the formidable heat-sack clouds that hang like fresh cathether bags over the sidewalks? I may not like to chafe my armpits against my ribs, nor my thighs together, but damn it, what is my New York experience if it does not include such things? I walked fourteen blocks at a fast clip and I was barely even sweating. This is unreasonable, New York! I expect humidity that makes the difference between going outside and showering to be no more than the use of soap. Even worse, I hear that California is having a heat wave. Oh foul global warming!

Overall the trip has been good. In my cousin's Brooklyn apartment the Manhattan skyline beckons like a tide of those glowing jellyfish, and I like walking through bustle, and ogling the fashionistas, and going miles by simply stepping on a train and stepping off. I like my sister's obvious awe at the shopping and the people, and am a little weirded out by the attention a lovely fifteen year-old girl draws from men. I've come really close on a few occasions of saying, "You do realize you're staring at an underage child, right?" It reminds me of my own adolescent innocence. I wore short, tight skirts and tops and had NO CLUE what effect this had on the world of men. I see now how dangerous that beauty and innocence can be, or rather, how a certain kind of man would be willing to take advantage of the girl who bears it. It's a very odd feeling. I certainly don't feel old at nearly 32, but in her presence, I feel like my grandmother. And someone asked me today if I am her mother. I mean shoot me now. Maybe I WILL get those highlights after all.

I had a fantastic meeting with my new agent :) Things are looking up. Bless the muses for giving me this book, which is reverting to its original title, The Night Oracle, for submissions, to come toward the end of summer (near my birthday).

JPR

8 Comments:

At 7:58 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I think a lot about beauty and innocence and young girls. I think that most of us had no idea of our power at that age. At the same time, we had an utter lack of power.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Yes, I agree. But it's powerful to be the observer; scary, even. I do see her powerlessness, too.

J

 
At 4:24 AM, Blogger Myfanwy Collins said...

Someone asked you if you were her MOTHER?!?!?! WTF?

The is such a weird and oblivious power that young girls have. It makes me scared for them.

SO glad about your great meeting, J! xo

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger atresillado said...

I'm just learning abt your new agent and her love for your novel. It's GOOD! I'm super happy for you.

I know what you mean... last weekend I felt the same watching a couple of 13-year olds walking through a crowd wearing miniskirts in a freezen winter afternoon. I felt an urge to protect them but then wondered if they needed my protection or it was me who would need someone to change my wardrobe.

Have a lot of fun and good luck with your novel's future.

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Fionnix said...

What a fantastic birthday present!

Maybe, since you've noticed the attention, you could figure a way to discuss things with her?

I am blessed my 13 year old goddaughter likes to talk and ask questions. I'm always open to her and with her and I see how that has made a difference. There are times when I think, "Why, oh, why can't you talk to your mother about this?!" Then I realize it's just that-- I'm Auntie Rhi. She thinks I have some magical gift of knowledge that her mother wasn't afforded.

I don't criticize her, rather I say, "M, there are a lot of odd nuts in this world. Don't you think?" Simple observations will start the ball rolling and in minutes I can say, "Sometimes men, old and young, get the wrong idea about girls by the way they ___. Have you ever [noticed, thought about, experienced] that?"

Like you, I feel a responsibility to protect her and educate her on the wiles of the world. The more I reach to her, the more she reaches back. Right now, according to her, of course, she thinks her parents are idiots. But, Auntie Rhi can say the same things and she'll listen.

We Aunts are powerful folks, we've just got to learn how to direct that power, not out of guilt, but with the goal of enriching a young life.

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Myf: Thanks for sharing my outrage!

Patricia: Oh, thanks for your support, my friend.

Joy: Thanks!

Rhi: Yes and no, but I'll elaborate more elsewhere.

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Patry Francis said...

Love your title!

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

E: I feel sorrier for the girls whose parents don't bother at all to instill self-respect. But yes, I admit I've become a little old lady; while watching VH-1 on the plane I was horrified at how much pressure is still on girls to be thin, beautiful, large-breasted and objects of sexual desire. It's a bit disheartening.

I'm not sure though if it's the primitive male urge that is at fault anymore. I think perhaps women need to take some responsibility too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home