Saturday, March 22, 2008

Nostalgia

Sometimes I grow nostalgic for ways of life I've never actually experienced. Is that possible? I secretly dream of a life of the land, where food is grown and raised and killed and made; where one's "work" is synonymous with one's survival; and one builds a community based on common needs and family lines.

This doesn't stem out of a feeling of lonliness as you might imagine (nor do I have any desire to live with my family on a commune!), but from an urge to pull back and away from aspects of culture that often overwhelm me: my daily use of technologies; my craving for external stimulation in the form of media entertainment; my need to drive my car just to walk in nature.

Maybe this comes from being pregnant but some days I wish that "work"--for all of us, not just me--was simpler. Not as in "easy" but reflective more of our inherent relationship to the earth, leading us toward not financial goals, but opportunities to connect and reflect on living and being human.

And yes, I'm aware this is a fantasy. That working to survive is just that, and it's hard and there's very little joy in it for most people. But that's what fantasies are for.

* * *
Also, I've got a post up at
The Debutante's Ball about the idea that we make our own luck. They're a great bunch of gals--debut authors who rotate out each year. I admit that I'm attached to the current set, however :) Check them out and their fantastic books!

2 Comments:

At 4:25 PM, Blogger Maryanne Stahl said...

I share your fantasies--well, the ones about living more connected to the earth, anyway! :-) I keep thinking "someday," knowing that the older I get, the less likely...

still.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Twilight Spy said...

I hear you! I love urban living for the carless existence it allows me, but I long for the ocean or a stretch of open field. Instead, I'm slowly building a garden and taking walks along the river. Not bad substitutes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home