Friday, March 07, 2008

An Embarrassment of...pages

I've read a lot of books lately--many of them ARCs (advance review copies) that aren't for sale yet, such as a fantastic teen novel that really could be sold as an adult novel called Madapple by Christina Meldrum, the wonderfully atmospherica, dark and edgy Falling Under by Danielle Younge-Ullman; the tale of competition in the world of science research in Intuition, by Allegra Goodman, and at last I read Cormac McCarthy's No Country For Old Men--even after having seen the movie and was transfixed and blown away. That book will stay with me.

I'm in one of those zones where reading is like some insanely good type of cookie that I can't stop gorging on. I read a book every couple days when I can, and feel good that I'm reading so much...and then I surf the web or look at Booksense picks and become utterly unhinged at just how many books there are out there! It's a wonderful feeling to know that there is so much good reading out there waiting for me, and at at the same time a little obsessive part of my brain feels like I will never do enough. I will miss out on so much good stuff. But that's the nature of life. You can't experience everything all the time.

But somedays I wish I could read it all.

What are you reading??

JPR

3 Comments:

At 4:20 PM, Blogger Maryanne Stahl said...

wonderful phase, a reading phase is. when I am in one, I always feel a bit guiltily disconnected from life--but pleasurably so. I envy you. I don't have so many opps for reading-orgies these days. plus, my eyes get so tired...

but I somehow think it's wonderful for the baby to be nourished with words!

 
At 4:26 AM, Blogger VJ said...

This is a great blog dear keep the work going I love to see you work... Please also find my new writing blog here. I give out tips on writing through these pages. Newer one.

 
At 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oddly enough, i'm reading "make a scene" -- and finding it wonderfully insightful and helpful

 

Post a Comment

<< Home