Monday, January 28, 2008

Teaching by Telephone

Saturday I taught a workshop on revision for the Redwood Writer's Club. "Taught" might be a bit over-stretching it..."presented" perhaps? At any rate, I had a lot of fun doing it. I haven't yet figured out the magic formula that makes me able to be "on" for some gigs, and totally out of body for others. I find that the great ones feel natural--like I'm being myself, but at the same time it's a more outgoing, chatty, knowledgable part of myself than I usually have access to. It also seems that when I over-prepare, but then sort of leave my notes off to the side and don't really use them, I have a more fluid style of delivering the info. I mean, trust me, there were flaws and I even got a few gentle suggestions from folks after the fact, but it was truly a fun and wonderful time.

What I find so interesting is what the participants glean from what I say. Someone might say, "Back when you were talking about X"...and I have to stop and think, Did I really say that? But no, learning is very much like a game of telephone. The teacher talks, the students hear what they hear, as filtered through experience and practice and a whole lot more, I'm sure. I received a slew of emails, too, that suggested that human experience is vastly wide and differing--that all 40 people in that room probably received a slightly different lecture :)

Don't forget that tomorrow is a day that much of the blogosphere will be devoted to talking about Patry Francis, author of the Liar's Diary. Be sure to stop on by here, too. I'll be giving away some free books!

Jordan

2 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Blogger Linda C. McCabe said...

Jordan,

I'm sorry that I missed the workshop.

I had to work at the hospital otherwise I would have been there.

I'm sure it went well. You've done a wonderful job the two times I've seen you speak before my writers club before. I love my club and its members. I am leave the meetings inspired.

About tomorrow, I saw the call a little while ago for bloggers to help Patry's paperback book launch. I don't know her, but I know she's a friend of yours. That's enough for me to join in the act as well. That and cancer has touched the lives of far too many of my family and friends. It is important for us to help others in whatever way that we can.

Now, I need to get some sleep and will write my post in the morning.

Talk to you soon!

Linda

 
At 6:40 AM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Hi Linda. Sorry you couldn't make it, but work does have a funny way of coming first.

I love your club too :)

I look forward to reading your blog post today. Mine is up now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home