Tuesday, January 01, 2008


Kickin' the New Year in the Ass

I make resolutions for myself all the time--sometimes daily, so to make one or more specifically for the New Year rarely occurs to me. If I could ask the Big Maker to make one on my behalf, it would be to rid me of the inevitable blues that strike sometime between the dropping of the shiny ball in NY and the deconstruction of the Christmas tree.

This year I can't even blame my blues on anything specific in my life. My life is really good, with some exciting and major changes in it, good friends, security, and, most importantly, a deep and lasting love the likes of which I only dreamed of having as a child. Oh, and the skies are even sunny and blue! So my only answer is that it's just old detritus from the early years that kicks on like some forgotten timer that I don't know how to turn off. In fact, just yesterday I had a fantastic day and was in a superior mood. So clearly, overnight, that little timer turned on and the damper went down without any warning (maybe that's why I dreamt I was trapped in the house of the worst years of my childhood).

So I've got to find the flippin' override switch. That's my resolution. To kick the blues in the ass.

I think perhaps the best method for this is to write more fiction. So friends, it's time. I've procrastinated long enough. There are fantastical worlds to be made up from the crazy ether of my mind. I mean it. They may be unfit for public consumption, but they'll probably keep me sane.


JPR

5 Comments:

At 9:05 PM, Blogger Twilight Spy said...

I call it the beige malaise. It sucks and it's frustrating, especially when things are going so good. So, yes, bring on the fiction. I can't think of a better stick to kick ass with.

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger Mary Akers said...

Ooh, fiction--I can't wait! I'm loving Make A Scene, by the way--excellent inspiration for getting back to my final novel revision. :)

 
At 6:28 AM, Blogger Maryanne Stahl said...

yes! the redemptive power of art--it's not about a moral for the reader.

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Jordan,

It's Christina Katz, fellow Writer's Digest author of Writer Mama fame (big wink).

I was kinda hoping you'd say you were going to tackle a memoir. The image of the house and the heavy memories have me very intrigued.

Wishing you great success in 2008!

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Tracy: Yes, the beige malaise! I already feel better today.

Mary: Oh, thanks for saying such kind words. I can't wait for your book, by the way. How exciting!

Maryanne: Redemptive for the artist if nothing else, right :)

Christina: I'm so glad to hear from you. I've toyed with the idea of memoir many times, but I still think I need more distance on my past. I'm really glad you stopped by.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home