Thursday, January 24, 2008

The beauty of a good club

I don't know about you, but when I was younger and far more impressionable, I got sucked into a few of those music-a-month clubs (back when they were only selling cassette tapes). There was something endless about those little fliers, those pressing requests to select another damn tape (Depeche Mode...or Wham, the choice was agonizing!) or else they would send you something of their own choosing, like Neil Diamond's greatest hits (as an 80's teen, this was like death to me). After awhile, I always quit--usually after I had been sent to collections because, without having read the fine print, I didn't know that I was legally bound to buy a new one every month or they'd charge me anyway!

The reason I tell you that sad story is not to ward you off all mail-order clubs, but for contrast. In my wiser, adult years I did join a mail-order club that has benefitted me immensely--The Writer's Digest Book Club. There's no hard sell, you only have to buy a few books after they send you a bunch for a ridiculously low price. And as many writers know, there is nothing like having a collection of valuable writing books on your shelf to turn to in a pinch (or perhaps carry in a back pocket).

As you probably guessed, this post is slightly self-serving, too. My book Make a Scene is the book club selection for Writer's Digest book club members right now. Not only that--it's the fancy hardcover edition, which I have to tell you, is be-yoo-tiful.


Seriously. That bathroom-tile photo does not do it justice.



Plus it has me ever so enigmatic author photo in the back :)


Its beauty (or handsomeness if you prefer a male-sounding designation, and believe me--it swings both ways) is all due to the talent of Claudean Wheeler of F& W Publications' design team. I get compliments on the cover all the time.

If you're not already a member, and have any interest in joining, I recommend it. I can look over at my shelf right now and count more than 10 of my all-time most turned to writing books. They are almost all Writer's Digest books. It's the main reason I sought them out as my publisher--I wanted to be where the best writing guides are.
JPR




4 Comments:

At 2:46 PM, Blogger tricia stirling said...

Ha. I still have my prized U2 tape collection, thanks to columbia house! i really got in over my head, before my mom informed me that since i was under 16, our contract wasn't legal. so i wrote them a letter to this effect and they let me off the hook.
your cover is very handsome and beautiful. I was talking with shane about that just recently!
i think your book is really going to help me. i tend to shy away from scenes more than i ought. gosh, i'm long-winded today.

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Hi tricia! I'm glad you are "long winded"...I love hearing from you.

Columbia House--yep, that was one. Unfortunately I got sucked in after I turned 18. Damn it.

Thanks for your comments on the cover. I'm fond of it as you can tell :) I would like nothing better than to think my book can help anyone...so let me know. Scenes don't need to be so scary--that's the premise of the book :)

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Maryanne Stahl said...

book club selection--you rock!~

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Maryanne--hehe... well it's damn cool, but I'll admit it was in my contract from early on so it's not a surprise. Though it's a good feeling :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home