Friday, September 07, 2007

Just when I'd decided I stopped writing short stories because I wasn't any good at the form, I received a nifty little certificate in the mail today for something I had totally forgotten about:


















The Lorian Hemingway Short Story Competition is created by the master's granddaughter.

Honorable mention may not come with a prize, but check out where I fall in the honorable mentions. That's pretty exciting! They received 905 submission. I feel pretty damn honored all right!

First Place
Bruce Overby of Los Altos, California, for "Bookmarks"

Second Place
G.L. Osborne of Caulfield South, Victoria, Australia, for "We Were at the Edge of a Gorge"

Third Place
Cecily Anders of Houston, Texas, for "Thump"

Honorable Mentions:

Jordan E. Rosenfeld of Morgan Hill, California, for "Shut-ins"

Mike Jones of Webster, Texas, for "Who We Left in Amarillo"

Marjorie E. Brody of Schertz, Texas, for "In the Underside"

Tracey Lion-Cachet of New York, New York, for "Noticed"

Caroline Roberts of Knoxville, Tennessee, for "The Dream Carriers"

Melissa Jackson Brister of Panama City, Florida, for "Sandcastles"

Oji Godwin of London, the United Kingdom, for "Guilt"

Eugene Hwang of Norwood, New Jersey, for "Counterclockwise"

Nancy McKinley of Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, for "Goat Meat"

G.L. Osborne of Caulfield South, Victoria, Australia, for "The Feeder"

Amina Gautier of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, for "A Cup of My Time"

Joseph J. Franco of Staten Island, New York, for "Betty's Dead"

Stephen A. Baker of Pleasant Hill, California, for "First Love"

Todd Powell of Duvall, Washington, for "Burn Pile"

Kelley Walker Perry of Fairland, Indiana, for "Lake Effect"

12 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, Blogger Crockhead said...

Congratulations! If I read your new book, will I learn how to write award-winning short stories too?

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

That's awesome!

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Amishlaw, thanks for the congrats. Apparently if you read my book you will learn how to write honorable-mention winning short stories ;)

Steph: Thanks! I was utterly surprised.

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger William said...

Wow! Congratulations on the Honorable Mention!

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger gayle said...

Congratulations, Jordan! That's fantastic! I'd love to read the story--is it findable?

xo
gayle

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Thanks William!

Gayle, I'm afraid I'd have to email you the story if you're interested in reading it--but I'd be glad to :)

xo
J

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Maryanne Stahl said...

YOU ROCK!

 
At 6:10 AM, Blogger atresillado said...

Wow! How great!

May I have a copy by e-mail too?

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Very cool. I got the exact same certificate in '02. Glad to see they've finally raised their standards. :)

Awesome Palahniuk interview, btw.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Marcus--in my memory you won one of the actual prizes? No?

Standards--shmandards.

J

 
At 5:01 AM, Blogger SusanD said...

Congrats Jordan! That's a great acheivement! And what wonderful praise you've been getting about "Make a Scene." I can't wait to read that book.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger katrina said...

Congratulations!!! And that is a GORGEOUS picture of you. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home