Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Nancy Drew and the Case of the Stupid-Ass Hollywood Producers

I do believe that the producers of the new Nancy Drew movie starring some child I've never heard of, and updated to be so modern as to be unrecognizable as Carolyn Keene's brainchild, have failed to understand that the readers of Nancy Drew, hence the true fans for whom a movie would appeal, fall somewhere between my mother's and my generation (approximately ages 30-60).

Silly hollywood. Do they really think that girls being raised on The A-List and The Gossip Girls, and The OC and similar are going to care about a chaste, intellectual girl sleuth?

I have just officially proved myself uncool.

JPR

5 Comments:

At 7:22 AM, Blogger tricia stirling said...

good points. i'm planning on taking my daughter--that's probably going to be their audience--the 30+ moms and their young daughters.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Good point, Tricia. I hadn't thought of the fact that it might appeal to the mothers :)

J

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Emma Roberts is the kid who is playing Nancy Drew. She's also Eric Roberts' kid. My 9 and 7 year olds are dying to see this, but the draw for them is Emma Roberts, not Nancy Drew (much to my dismay!)

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Ooh, I saw the preview and was disappointed. It seems to have used most of Mean Girls as the inspiration.

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Sharon Hurlbut said...

I don't know about the movie, but I do know that my seven year old daughter is completely entranced by the original Nancy Drew books. One of her aunts gave her a box set for Christmas and she's been devouring them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home