Wednesday, November 08, 2006

A House Analogy

The best way I can describe how I feel about the election results today is through an analogy.

So here it is:

If my house burned down, destroying the things I held dear, my treasured memories and favorite clothes and things that were both practical and indulgent, I would feel pretty darn crappy.

Now, let's say that as I stood outside looking at the wreckage of my house, someone came along--a kind stranger and gave me a tent. They even helped put it up for me to sit in (did I forget to mention that it began to rain after my house burned down?) and brought me a snack and patted my shoulder and said, "Well, look at it this way, statistically you probably won't ever have another house burn down." And I would feel a little better, comforted, looked after, even hopeful that somehow things would all work out thanks to this small show of kindness.

But I would still wish my house had never burned down in the first place.

I am grateful, for the sweep forward, but I can't look back over 6 years of and feel much but grief.

1 Comments:

At 6:12 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Great metaphor, Miss!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home