Monday, October 30, 2006

My blog has become, unfortunately, too public a place. That is to say that my family reads it from time to time and I can't always say what I really feel. (E. excepted--he knows everything I think/feel anyway).

So without talking about the personal details of my own family I can instead turn outward to you readers and say: Please, please, please take care of your future. By this I mean, think about your loved ones. Are you expecting others to take care of you in your old age? Aside from my opinions about whether or not this is fair, if you believe someone will take care of you--are you sure? If they do not wind up there for you at the end, what will happen to you then, and who will wind up paying for it?

Have you thought about your retirement? Have you begun to prepare for it? Are you expecting the government to come through for you with social security? I hope not.

Do you know what will happen to your house and your assets after your death if they are not paid for, and who will end up having to deal with the hassles, the paperwork, the taxes?

Are you counting on some distant windfall, some inheritance you believe you are entitled to? And what happens if it doesn't come?

Do you spend lots of money on gifts and gestures for your family by going into debt? Then you aren't thinking about them. You aren't loving them.

I don't mean to lecture, to scold purely for the sake of it. I am doing so because I know that love and money are often interchanged. I know that while you love your family, you can still screw them over, hurt them, make life hard for them by not taking care of YOURSELF.

Think about that.

I am all for living in the present moment, but not at the cost of other people's futures.

End sermon

JPR

4 Comments:

At 2:01 PM, Blogger Myfanwy Collins said...

Great post, Jordan! I'm lucky in that I have zero debt. I got myself out of debt in my 20s and stayed that way--now, thanks to my husband and his excellent financial planning. We also both are already investing in long-term health insurance. The future and the legacy we leave behind (not meaning money or things or anything, rather not burdening others) is important to us both. Though, I'll admit I don't much believe in living for retirement. I like to enjoy life NOW! Still, this can be done without cost to others.

I'm babbling!

 
At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We did wills this year and it was a good thing. We're not dead yet, but we feel more secure.

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Myf: you're more than lucky, you're living fully in the present, because debt enslaves you to the future. I have a feeling that your version of living in the now and enjoying is a lot more pracitcal and kind than those who don't ever think of it at all.

Steph: That's good! I want to do that too. Not only is good to be prepared, it satisfies some part of my need for order on a larger scale.

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger atresillado said...

What amazes me is how we all can say so many intimate things to strangers and we have to be so careful with family.
Just referring to the first lines of this post...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home