Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Wednesday Miscellanious

Why Pavlov did not train cats. Need I say more?
















* * *

Don't feel sorry for me.


This gorgeous car on the left is in about the same shape as what E. and I call "the manky car" on the right--the 1992 Dodge Colt that my dad gifted to us so we could sell off my old Saturn. When people see me in the Colt I can tell they feel sorry for me. by the way they glance pityingly at me from the height of their Chevy Maximus Grandus, or whatever those big ass cars I see everywhere are. They wonder if I am unemployed, or perhaps work for minimum wage at Taco Bell. They feel a little superior and relieved that they, thank Jebus, can afford to drive something more luxurious, something they aren't afraid to be seen in. What these people don't know is that I can afford a new car--in the American sense of "afford" which is that we could easily make a car payment on some snazzy new hybrid--and eventually we will. But right now it's a glorious feeling to own two cars that drive perfectly well without a monthly payment on either. It's nice to have low insurance and not to care if someone swipes my car with their door or puts a small dent in it.


Now, I imagine that others have the same feeling about Mister silver volkswagon rabbit, or whatever it is. I even did. I thought that my car looked pretty darn good next to his. But in the second photo (which blogger is too much of a bitch to post) you would see that Mister silver has a protective lockbar on his steering wheel to prevent its theft.

So you may laugh all you want, but he values that car and he isn't going to risk having it stolen. He probably has no car payments and low insurance, too. And that's enough reason to keep it out of the hands of all the petty thieves who are just dying to steal it :)

JPR

10 Comments:

At 4:59 PM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Unlike his parents :)

J

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Patry Francis said...

I love my little HOnda Civic, even though my son bashed in the fender last year when he got his license. It goes when I start the key, it drinks gas in moderation, and I don't mind if my dogs shed all over it.

 
At 6:44 AM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Ah, Patry and Neil, I see a Honda Civic Theme. My first two cars were Honda Civics--an
81 and an '87. Both of them drove to some extraordinary number of miles.

Neil, I hadn't thought of playing the gang card. Tho, how scary is a white girl with a small head and a pencil neck?

 
At 8:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too have a Civic (and a Corolla). Both are wonderful cars.

I should point out that our very old Toyota Camry with over 200K miles on and a very dented bumper was in fact stolen off the street in our safe neighborhood in Watertown, Massachusetts, so just because a car looks old, worn, and tired does not mean someone will not take it.

You don't have a small head and a pencil neck.

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Steph: I agree that crappy cars get stolen.

But I DO have a small head. You can't tell in photographs but my valid proof, other than the fact that hats are all large on me, is that a three year old boy I knew was once so distracted from his playing with his brother by my head that he stopped to ask me, "Why you got such a small head?"

Why indeed.

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Myfanwy Collins said...

I miss my old Civic! I loved it. Now I have a larger car because we have to haul our trash and recyclables to the dump in it. We live in the woods--so it actually has a purpose. My husband just got a Prius--his first NEW car ever. He's in love with it but his old car was driven into the ground before he made the choice to buy.

And as for your kitty! Whoa!

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger atresillado said...

Well, I don't even have the problem of where to park ;) and it also feels good! Depending on buses can be uncomfortable late at night but not to be worried about insurance, thieves or killing a pedestrian is great!

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Twilight Spy said...

And there's nothing like the minty cool self-ritousness that comes with never having owned a car. And yes, the lack of insurance, thieves and death more than makes up for the wet wool and urine smell you have to put up with sometimes. Good times! Not as good as your cat's, but good.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Samus said...

Dude, don't forget: somebody did steal my old crappy Saturn. Lock that shit up.

Southern California is a different world of cars. Mine is two years old (just a toddler!) and when I had to replace the tires I seriously considered paying her off and shopping for a new one. I caught myself mid-thought and then gave my beautiful toddler Matrix some extra love.

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Katie said...

I had to come see the masturbating cat. Just as good as I expected.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home