Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Unexpected Cheer

It amazes me how little it takes to cheer me up. I've been in a bit of a funk lately, I admit it, and with all I know about the body's relationship to the mind/emotions, it's no surprise to me that the past couple days especially I've not been feeling that well physically. I know the two are connected.

Each night I try to do some kind of writing or meditation exercise designed to end the night on an up-note. Lately it's been writing more often than meditating. And in the morning, I do find that on most days I look forward to the day. Each day does feel full of promise at 7:30 even if by 2:30, I'm a crankpot.

Today I decided I wanted something sweet, so I walked downtown to the new little joint in town that actually reminds me a bit of Petaluma, where we moved from. On my way there I ran into my chiropractor, who is in my age group, actually and one of the very few people I know in this town, and the source of my one good friend that I've made here. We exchanged nothing more than pleasantries, but it was nice to see a familiar face, and one who knows my name, nonetheless. Then I went into the cafe I set out for. I've been in there enough times that one of the owners knows me by sight and greets me warmly. We got to talking even, and had a really nice conversation and I left there realizing that even in this town where I feel so alien still, two people had just recognized and greeted me kindly. That raised my spirits. The "wonder bar" with ice cream that I bought didn't hurt either :)

I walked home, indulged in an episode of Sex and the City before returning to work on the notes for the class I'm teaching tomorrow.


I feel better today.

JPR

3 Comments:

At 6:01 AM, Blogger Myfanwy Collins said...

Soon you will be writing to tell us of the acceptance. I know this! :)

 
At 6:05 AM, Blogger Jim said...

It will happen, Jordan, and when it does, it will be the editor and publisher who are exactly right for your book.

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger smart kitty said...

You're a person people will always be happy to see. Didn't that sound like a fortune cookie? Well, it's not. I made it up myself, and it's true.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home