Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Warning: swearing inevitable

I don't think of myself as a particularly foul-mouthed person, but I appreciate a good expletive, especially when no other word expresses what I'm shooting for, and I've learned to concoct new and unique variations on a swear-word theme (though none like my friend Sarah O. can do). But lately I've been wondering if swearing on one's blog is like showing up to a fancy restaurant and using the wrong fork, or keeping your elbows on the table, or burping in someone's face. I am concerned that if some of the publications that I write for, which are kind enough to list my blog address, might be bothered if they realized that their readers might surf to my site where I've described a funny dream about having a penis, or listed seven slang-swear terms I say on a regular basis.

Then again the talented and highly visible Maud Newton doesn't seem afraid to swear, but somehow she gets away with seeming literary and fashionable while she does it (of course now I can't track down a single post in which she swore).

Then, as I've been watching Six Feet Under with great relish, I find myself noticeably aware of how often the word "fuck" is used, and how in at least half the instances I find myself wishing they had chosen to omit the word. Not because, as i've said, I'm offended, but because I think it's been entered into the dialog to express intensity of emotion that the characters could express in behavior otherwise. It's easier to say "shut the fuck up" than to have a character get really vulnerable in such a way that the person they're hoping to shut up, would simply shut the fuck up by dint of compassion.

Plus, all the characters refer to sex as "fucking" and it's just starting to irritate me. It's my only complaint about the show. That, and Brenda's bad behavior. I really want to like her. Be good, Brenda. Be good!

:)
JPR

5 Comments:

At 11:42 AM, Blogger Ashley said...

hey there...I really like your blog, I must say.

What publications do you write for??

And a comment on the actual post: an occasional curse word on your blog is not in poor taste, but rather can get your point across in the most efficient of ways. Or so I tell myself, haha.

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Thanks, dear.

I mostly write for local arts and entertainment rags, but also the writing magazines: Writer's Digest, The Writer...you can see my published credits on the far right side under "journalism."

Thanks for visiting.

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Ms Lori: Thanks for your support of my swear-habits. You don't think I threaten my oh-so-public reputation :)

As for Brenda, she's got a lot of work to do to redeem herself in my opinion. I'm waiting (I'm only on season two :)

J

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Zhoen said...

I'm a swearer from way back. But those powerful words need to be used sparingly, and not as a substitute for imagination or creativity.

All my posts about Army experiences have swearing.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Zhoen-I agree with the spare use of them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home