Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Hi again...

I'm concerned about myself and I want you all to weigh in. Tell me, when did I stop being a networker? Somewhere being starting a literary reading series (ongoing!) at Zebulon's Lounge and becoming a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants radio host, I sort of dropped the ball.

That ball that has you shmoozing and selling yourself and making sure people know your name or are familiar with your work. That ball where you go to writing conferences and pitch your ideas and get a Publisher's Weekly page and spread the love and drop names and get people to be unable to forget you.

I want to be good. I want to be making new connections and asking authors I interview for tips and insider information and names and cocktails...

But I don't. Maybe I can't.

What I can do is write, and revise and come up with lots of new ideas and write more and get things with deadlines done. But I don't remember how to wave my pom-poms and I've forgotten how to keep in touch and how to ask favors and how to make myself look good.

Am I complacent? Am I one of these writers doomed to obscurity? Am I perhaps, a little pre-menstrual?

J

4 Comments:

At 8:28 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I'm pre-menstrual. :)

I don't think you dropped the ball. I think you're writing and that's great. I'm really not sold on constant networking. For most of us, it takes energy away from other things.

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger atresillado said...

Maybe you should give yourself a rest because, if you use the time when you are not producing for worrying about your lack of production then you are in a vicious circle and I can't see the good side. Just accept it as it is and enjoy the good times when they come, as they always do.

And yes, being pre-menstrual is a very bad habit of us, women.

besos

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

You're both right, Stephanie and Patricia...I'm busy writing and I need to relax. Sometimes I just get so pressured seeing other go-getters out there strutting their stuff and feel that I should be better at it.

I'm a recluse with the unfortunate ability to be social.

J

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Thank you Sue. That really puts it in perspective for me. Community is what I want--both the local one I'm in, and the larger community of writers I'm lucky to be part of...thank you!

J

 

Post a Comment

<< Home