Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Things Nobody Wants to Admit...

If I were to write a book about motherhood it would be titled: Things Nobody Wants to Admit About Being a Mother. Ever since making the unexpectedly hard transition from a "dyad" to a "triad" as my husband likes to say, I have kept little mental notes to myself about the things you just don't find in books, and none of your friends with kids really tell you ahead of time. These are the things you assume no other mother at the park is thinking or has ever felt, because strangers don't talk about these things. Only close friends will usually admit them to each other.

Lately, on the scale of minor evils, I've been finding myself desperate for the moment my son takes his nap or goes to bed, literally counting down minutes. And the irony is that he is more fun and wonderful than ever. It's not his behavior that's driving this in me. Being that he's nearly a year old (and oh my god how did that happen??) you'd think I'd have the hang of this whole motherhood thing. While aspects of it do come much easier and pretty much any stage past newborn is a walk in the park in comparison, after a year of spotty sleep and obligation and not being able to exercise, write, think or make love to your husband without either guilt or rush, you start to crave wider expanses of time. And I'll confess that my son goes to a babysitter 12 hours a week (in which I work, write, exercise, eat, call friends, read, etc) and I still feel this way. And my dear friends with multiple children will laugh when they read this and say, 'honey you 'aint seen nothin'...but these are MY confessions after all. Confessions of the unprepared mother of one child.

(And the really weird part is, even as I write this, my son is pulling tissues out of a box and making himself laugh and I just want to scoop him up and hold him for hours.)

8 Comments:

At 7:38 AM, Anonymous Emily said...

A mother for almost a year and you think you should have gotten the hang of it? Ha! Expecting to get all of the time to yourself you should want in 12 little hours a week? Ha ha! You are being very, very hard on yourself. I think most moms are immensely grateful for quiet solitude while also feeling blessed to be mothers. As Amy Hempel would say, "People are not one thing BUT another thing, they are one thing AND another thing." Loving your kid and needing a break from your kid are not mutually exclusive. Enjoy your alone time and don't feel guilty for craving it!

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Maryanne Stahl said...

and to think, though I truly know how you feel, that I miss those days. I'd rather be back with my babies, showing them butterflies, than teaching other people's babies when to use who and when whom.

I don't miss the sleep deprivation and, honestly,I don't have the physical stamina for full-time care of a toddler any more. but god, I miss the smell of their heads.

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger J.C. Towler said...

Hey Jordan,

I recently matriculated into parenthood myself, though am about a year and a half ahead of you. (Ours is 2 1/2ish). I know well your feelings and use those nap hours to your advantage because they are sometimes the only opportunity you have to recharge during the day. Don't feel the first pang of guilt.

I'm sure you've come to realize how much the old axiom about kids being sponges is true; well, they also soak up a lot of energy along with everything going on around them.

Best,

--John

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I love what you have written about being a new mom. I am a savored grandmother now of 16, and totally compute it all in my cobwebbed brain. I remember well the first time mom event until I had 7 to talk about or write about. Now I have 16 grandbabies with one due in January. Jordan, you are doing right by getting a 12-hour a week break. All mom's need that. I admire all mom's who find time to write amidst the daily cares of family. Life only gets better, enjoy your journey.

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I forgot to tell you thank you for writing such a wonderful book, "Make A Scene." It has helped me tremendously. You are awesome. Enjoy your precious angel and more to come. When the time comes your words will flow again, but your angels will not wait. They will grow so fast and be gone before you understand where all the time went. Never feel guilty for wanting time for yourself, it makes for a healthier relationship when you are with them. Enjoy writing always, but enjoy your journey with your family most of all.

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger 三重古天樂 said...

酒店經紀 酒店小姐 酒店經紀公司
台北酒店工作 台北酒店經紀人 酒店兼差 酒店兼職 酒店公關 酒店上班 台北酒店上班 酒店打工 酒店工作內容 酒店pt 台北酒店 便服店 禮服店 酒店 酒店工作 酒店上班時間 酒店上班薪水 酒店上班內容 現領 當日領 酒店經紀 酒店打工 酒店工作 酒店上班 酒店兼差 酒店兼職 打工兼差 打工兼職 台北酒店 酒店應徵 禮服店 酒店 經紀 打工 兼差便服店 台北酒店經紀 酒店薪水 酒店工作內容 酒店時間 酒店經濟 美式餐廳 咖啡廳
打工兼職 打工兼差 酒店營業時間
酒店經濟 酒店面試
2015/08/26

 
At 11:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

可愛い子は多いので、キャバクラ感覚で楽しむことができるなら、 台湾風俗サウナ ピンサロ へルス、激安等の風俗店を紹介。お客様好みの最高級の美女が見つかるお店では、姫の敏感なふわふわ胸から、攻めますが、既にすごい反応、ホール攻撃の頃にはある程度、できあがってしまっているのか、早々にフライト頂きます。休みなく、今度は、クンニチハ大王攻撃、スマタは、前から後ろからと一進一退な、にじり寄りの中、最終的には、後ろから、楽しい時間を頂き、無事FINとなります。その後はまったりしつつ、流れで第2戦へ。(可愛い子からお持ち帰りされるので)◎台湾キャバクラの遊び方1.体験ユーザーの口コミ体験やお好みのタイプで女性検索が行えます。、服装は、パレオと

 
At 12:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Running Low

 

Post a Comment

<< Home