Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Data overload

Anyone who regularly reads blogs, much less posts their own; who belongs to any more than 1 writer's forum (or message board or forum of any kind) eventually goes through what I am going through now: Overload.

It's too much to not only read all these sources, but to maintain contact too, which then of course makes your connections wonder if you died. And blogging, well, that's fallen off too. Though it is summer, and the energy is different. And I have a writing life. Right now I just can't keep up.

I read only a few blogs--thankfully bloglines tells me when my favorites update. I check in to Zoetrope and Backspace but posting there is exhausting right now. I visit Myspace usually only to deny someone's "friend request." I'm feeling less and less interested in the online world these days.

It's the real world that's calling me. The one with actual bodies and sunshine and gladiolas and fuzzy cats in it. The one with rolling hills and redwoods and swimming pools and outdoors concerts and soft grass in parks and bicycles. You know what I mean? I think you do. What are you even doing reading this (except Patricia, for whom it is not Summer because she's in South America and therefore has an excuse to stay inside).

JPR

7 Comments:

At 5:55 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I've found that living in the desert gives me the opposite effect: I stay inside. :)

But I do remember summer elsewhere. No time to be inside.

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Amy Davidson said...

Yay! The real world! Come to the San Francisco portion of that real world and have a cup of coffee with me.

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger atresillado said...

Even me here... I am often wondering why my contacts have become so virtual. I miss real contacts. I miss when people had time to linger over a cup of coffee. Though sometimes I meet my (busy) friends, they are always watching the watch and that's sth relatively new. It didn't happen some years ago. We have lost quality of real contacts. But, I hope, people will realize and will change back.

Enjoy your summer & yr outdoor activities for me!!!!
Outdoor concerts... there's nothing better in the world!!!

Have a beautiful day, dear. I'm having a day full of hope and appreciation.

:) Love,
Patricia

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Elizabeth Kennedy said...

so so funny. i just blogged abt the same damn thing this morn! did you see sven's article on blogs in the boston globe? (i link to it.)

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Steph: Good point! Hot desert not so much fun.

Amy: Email me your #...I'm coming through SF soon!

Patricia: Yes, everyone is all digitally wired up now, and busy, busy.

Elizabeth: I did not see Sven's article...I'll go check it out now. And your blog, of course!

xo
J

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Samus said...

Is that bloglines thing the reason that I'll take eight months off and the day I update my peeps come and comment?

Thanks, by the way, for yours. <3

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Samus: Yep, that's exactly right :)

J

 

Post a Comment

<< Home