Wednesday, June 20, 2007

HAPPINESS


For most people, their "resolutions" start on January 1--I don't know why that date offers a fresh slate to usher in new changes exactly. For me, major changes tend to take place at the beginning of spring/ summer. Something about that bright sun shining down on all the damp, dusty corners of my life that makes me rethink my attitude and outlook.


So here's what I've been figuring out very, very slowly:

Happiness is a daily effort. You really can be happy, and have your dreams fulfilled and have fabulous relationships and wealth and creativity. But you absolutely must work on it every day. And let's face it, who doesn't have a down day. . . or five?


This week I'm back on board with keeping my happiness well-fed, paid and supported. It involves a bevy of things: taking lots of breaks from the computer; silence; eating carefully; exercise; social contact of a stimulating but not overwhelming nature (right now the bookstore suffices though I prefer it in the form of hanging out with good friends); limited contact with my family (sorry guys, but it's true); taking notice of all that I'm grateful for; writing every morning...and so on. See--this is no small task list. But the fact is, when I let any of those variables slack, my happiness plummets so significantly that, if it were a stock, all the investors would be bailing out fast.


What do you need to be happy? How often are you able to do it?



JPR


I will leave you with one last grad photo--three siblings, in age appropriate order :) (Outfit coordination purely accidental!)


3 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Blogger atresillado said...

Beautiful, really beautiful picture!

Happiness... what an issue. I agree with you, 100%. To be honest, I have just "met" happiness and I'm working on it, daily, too.

What is H? Many things, if I'm self-centered and nothing if I'm out of focus.

Happiness is:
having time
listening to a good piece of music going to an amazing concert
watching stars reflected in the water
watching a cloudy sunset
lying at the sun in the summer
watching my son smile, watching him sleep, watching him succeed at a new challenge
being awaken on Sunday morning by Pedro with a kiss on my forehead
finding a book which hooks you
meeting an old friend by chance
finding a group of people with whom to share some interests
hanging out with friends after watching a moving movie
arriving at home after a busy day
receiving a box of chocolates
getting to know a friend is coming from abroad
hugging with a good friend
receiving a good piece of news from a friend, e.g. that she has sold a new novel ;)
finding the perfect present for a friend
looking back into my life and finding out that decisions have been well taken, after all..

I could go on if I had more time, which brings me back to the first item of the list.

Love to you,
Patricia

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger gerry rosser said...

What a picture!
Happiness is, to me, simply a decision. If you decide you are unhappy, you'll always be right. If you decide you are happy, you'll always be right (which does not mean pain-free or trouble-free).

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Maryanne Stahl said...

congratulations to the graduate! to all graduates and former graduates and future graduates!

happiness--yes! it is a choice. (not necessarily easy, automatic or certain).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home