Thursday, June 07, 2007

Another post that pretends to talk about something interesting but really doesn't
E and I recently got a propane-powered outdoor grill. We've been on a grilling frenzy, eating nothing else for the past week. It's fun to grill. It's fast. It doesn't heat up the house. And hot-dogs taste way better grilled than any other way (as do most vegetables).

So last night, or really this morning--around 2 am--we awoke to what sounded like cracking and popping coming straight out of the grill. I became paranoid that I had not shut off the gas and left it on and there was some sort of mini-explosion taking place.

E. got up, turned on the backyard light and we saw that one of the little doors beneath the grill was open. Something was inside, having a midnight snack out of the greasetrap. Our friendly....


Opossum.
He looked totally busted when he saw E--who then had to prod him with a hammer (gently) to get him out of the cupboard. He was only able to consume half of the delicious fat-drippings.

:)

5 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Blogger atresillado said...

Oh! How beautiful!!!!! We don't have cuties like that here!
I love it!

I'm sorry about your missing Figaro. Our guinea pig was ill for the past 5 days and I thought he was going to pass out. Luckily he started eating again (a little, but still..) so it seems that he's better. Pedro & me were super worried for him.

Pets are family members and they are missed just like humans (or more).

Years after my beloved dog Tim died I had the feeling that he was lying next to my bed at night. And sometimes I still miss him.

We humans have lots to learn from pets!

Have a nice day, darling!

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Dave Fragments said...

We got racoons that can empty a garbage can in three minutes. It's like a frenzy of racoon butt up and two "cute" paws down while aromatic garbage exits the can.
I miss my little 10 lb ball of fur Yorkshire terrier, too. It's been a few years.

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger SusanD said...

That pic of that opossum is MUCH cuter than any I've seen. Generally, they freak me out. Such are the joys of summer, though. Scavengers at your grill. That is the good life.

 
At 3:10 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

So funny. Susan said exactly was I was going to about that critter looking cuter than any possum I've seen. They usually remind me of giant rats. Anyway, I'm not particularly nocturnal myself, so I don't see them too often.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Maryanne Stahl said...

aw! I love possums (unlike a lot of folk). glad your grill wasn't spontaneously combusting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home