Saturday, March 25, 2006

The Good News

With my belly laden full of incompatible but tasty hors d'oeuvres served at my sister's 15th birthday party today, I come to share with you my good news.Good news seems best served on a full stomach, don't you think? Plus, I feel that I need to write this news down as many places as possible to convince myself that it is real.

Friday I received the good news from the fine folks at Writer's Digest Books that my proposal for my book titled Master the Scene has been accepted for publication in Fall, 2007, and will be included as a feature in their Book Club.

It's been an interesting journey. The idea for the book had been percolating for months as I edited novel after novel (freelance editing is one of my main gigs). Even some of my best writing clients have trouble with the purpose, texture, concept, etc of the scene--that lovely little foundational unit of energy, action, information, among other things--that brings a story alive, draws the reader right on in. As I stumbled across the lack of scene writing in my clients' work, I realized that I had only become conscious of the scene as a "thing" to be employed in my writing about six years ago myself. I'd managed to intuitively use scenes pretty well, but not always, and with some trouble until I met Stephanie Moore (who passed away this year to my great sadness), who brought the scene to the forefront of my writer's consciousness. I owe her a lot, and the foreword of the book recounts my first meeting of her, so that makes me doubly excited.
Another precious bit of synchronicity is that I've just completed an article for Writer's Digest Magazine on Writer's Retreats--and it was at a writer's retreat in January organized by my pal Susan Bono that I wrote the bulk of my proposal for Master the Scene.

Here I am working on THE proposal!

Then, the very fine editor at Writer's Digest Books who has worked with me on this project from the beginning helped me refine and tweak and tune my proposal until it met both our visions of what the book can be.

While I always dreamed that my first publication would be a novel, I feel no less elated that it's this book. This almost feels more right. I can't explain it.

Wow!

12 Comments:

At 3:00 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

So excited for you, Jordan! I've always been a huge believer in your gifts, and it's thrilling to see them recognized with a book contract.

Also, I can hardly wait to read this book. I know it's going to be superb!!

And boy, when your life changes, it REALLY changes.

Congrats and good luck!

 
At 4:24 AM, Blogger Myfanwy Collins said...

Hooray, Jordan! I am in love with this news. This book is going to be fantastic and I cannot wait to read it because I know it's going to teach me a lot.

xo
myf

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Whoo-hoo Jordan!!

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Thanks my friends. You've really seen me through this.

xo
J

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

This is so exciting! I really want to read this book!

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Ms. Lori said...

Jordan, please pardon my asinine and overly-used (lately) response but...

Oh-a. My-a. God-a.

Seriously, oh-a. My-a. God-a.

Allow me reiterate: OH-A. MY-A. GOD-A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations!

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Lori, dear, your ass will never be nine ;)! Thank you so much. I continue to grin shamelessly when I reflect upon it.

xxoo
J
(Thanks also Katie & Steph...)

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Patry Francis said...

Jordan! So thrilled for you. There is so much about making a scene come to life that causes problems for writers at all levels. What a fantastic idea! Can't wait to get a copy.

 
At 3:54 AM, Blogger RobinSlick said...

Jordan, I'm so thrilled and I just popped over here to see if you've mentioned it in your blog so I can lift your post and put it in mine!

Congratulations again! And I can't wait to read the book, either. It's going to be amazing.

xo

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

You're all good apples, you know that? Thanks for your kindness, Patry, Robin...

xo
J

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger smart kitty said...

Congratulations, Jordan.

So, I think Word Pirates will have to import you as a special guest star.

Arrr :)

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Leona Laurie said...

Congratulations! I can't wait to read it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home