Friday, October 15, 2004

"If science will not seek human meaning, and if interpreters (critics, anthropologists, etc.) study human events and human artifacts only, then who will tell us the meaning of the raw universe? By the raw universe I mean here all that we experience, all things cultural and natural, all of the universe that is known, given, made and changing: the world, and they that dwell therein."
--Annie Dillard from "Living by Fiction."

(The answer is: our fiction writers!)

Things of mine to read...

I've got fiction live at: Literary Mama, SmokeLong Quarterly and an interview which aired on Word by Word has been transcribed at AlterNet. Links to all these publications are on the left of my blog.

Otherwise, I'm feeling prickly and tense because of all this election friction. It's making it hard to focus, strangely. I never thought of myself as susceptible to political influences except on the tiniest of scales. Howard Zinn said it best though. This is one of the most dangerous, if not THE most dangerous, administrations in the history of this country. It warrants a few existential prickles of fear. I really, REALLY want John Kerry to win. More than I've wanted anything in a long time. More than I want a book published or recognition or fame...

As for writing...I'm doing a lot of it. November I will begin in earnest my next novel. I'm very seriously considering sending off chapters of my two novels to small publishers like Seal Press and otherwise. I think it's time to check in with the ole' agent about what to do now.

I'll update you when I've done so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home