Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Morning light these summer days is an amber glow, like resin painted on the outside of my windows. This is not the sweet touch of sunrise; my state is on fire, and I happen to live nearly smack between the most major of these blazes. There is a thin haze of gray coating the horizon in all directions like a film and a sense that if you breathe too deeply you'll wind up needing an oxygen mask before long. Along with daily news of the worsening economy, the energy crisis and the cave-like isolation of new parenthood, this state of inferno has contributed to an apocalyptic feeling, as if the bomb went off and we're in its aftermath. And while that sounds depressing, it's strangely inspirational to my writing, which I am trying to reconnect with after pregnancy ejected my brain and new motherhood has continued to loan it out.

But it's slowly coming back. Yee haw.

JPR

6 Comments:

At 9:19 PM, Blogger Ann Wilkes said...

Jordan,
It's definitely eerie. I know exactly what you mean. You look up and it's grey. You look down and everything is reddish. Very surreal. I started a story that involved a smoke alarm, but it has taken a turn for the worse. I did, however start the next novel in my Lavratt universe. And at least I can be outside without a face mask. I hope the fires are conquered soon...

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Twilight Spy said...

Welcome back, however slowly, my dear. I'm here, waving from my cave to yours. No babies in my cave, no ash or amber glow, but plenty of love. Be well!

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Laura Paine Carr said...

It's good to see you back onblog... your brain is fine, just morphed into something quite different. This will continue to be the "ride of your life!" Enjoy the current nonverbal stage of babyhood, because I am sure that little Mr. New will be a whizzkid in the language department very soon! Congratulations.

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger tricia stirling said...

Good for you! it's important to return to writing in those early days...
i have a freind who read a five hundred page novel while breastfeeding. It was all I could so to keep my eyes open to watch scrubs.

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger tricia stirling said...

oops, i mean she WROTE a 500 page novel. Shoot. even I probably could have READ one.

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Maryanne Stahl said...

you are ALWAYS inspiring!

meanwhile, though there are no fires here, I awakened this morning from a dream that barack obama was dead the the taliban had taken over america.

:-/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home