Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Choice is most definitely a good thing. As in, water, or soda? Dark meat or light meat? Rent a movie, or go out to one? These kinds of choices are a no-brainer for me.

Multiple choices start to make me feel edgy. Chinese, Mexican or Thai? Uh...Uh... Left, right or straight? Lip quivers and a little sweating set in.

More than three choices and you can just write me off.

So...this makes revision a real challenge. Actually, it makes writing a challenge in general. You take one road, you must close off others. And once you take any road, you find out that it opens onto many little side-streets. Each side-street leads to an alley. Each alley has a secret door to a subterranean corridor. And don't even get me started about the corridors. This is how writing feels to me right now. I like it--I prefer having choices--but I'm not too good at deciding which one is best. So I get stymied. Which to take? Which to take? ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I just have to keep remind myself that things will get finished. That is the order of things. You begin, you work hard, you finish...(somewhere later down the long, impossibly twisty road).

J

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home