Sunday, October 01, 2006

A brief photo essay

I guess October didn't trust that we had gotten the seasonal message, what with all the lazy, summer-like days these past couple days since the equinox. So it brought us a more specific message:

(Hint: look to the left of Buddha)





























We also got to kiss our gym membership permanently goodbye; we bought THIS used, and I am ever so happy:














I also watched two disturbing things. One, a documentary of people who jumped from the Golden Gate bridge (which I also happen to be writing an article about) and a 60 minutes episode about kids who are taking to beating homeless people to death after watching a popular video called "bumfights." I can't tell you how disturbing this was to watch. Basic humanity is so easily beaten out of people, isn't it? And then they go on to beat the life out of others.

I tell you, I can be selfish, absorbed, negative and tedious...but I feel like I can say that I have my humanity intact. And the best illustration for that I can give is my friend Michelle with her sweet Olive:

2 Comments:

At 4:52 AM, Blogger Myfanwy Collins said...

I saw that bumfights piece, too, Jordan. It has left me shaken. How have the people who take part in this horrible crime become so desensitized?

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Myf: It makes me equal parts sick, and grateful for who I am not, and who I am, if you know what I mean.

J: Yes, I imagine you get to witness more base humanity than anyone I know. The question is, how do you deal with it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home