Wednesday, September 27, 2006

So much noise

I would never be able to live in a city unless I had some kind of magic windows that shut out all the noise.

Here in suburbia there is so much noise--most of it at night, which has been putting a serious dent in my sleep.

There are the dogs. The loud, ferocious dog and the little yappy dog. Together they make some kind of crazy dog harmony that is perfect for waking you up at all hours of the night.

There are the trains that rumble and honk their way through town about every couple hours, day or night. People think I am joking until they are on the phone with me when one comes thru.

There are the planes flying from the San Jose Int'l airport.

There is the street work which is being done at night WHY?

There is the neighbor's washing machine which rumbles and thuds against our bedroom wall, and sometimes, I think on "date" night, they play very strange, loud Chinese music at decibels you would expect of teenagers.

There are the men and their big trucks gunning their engines at whatever time of day or night suits them.

There is my cat, who howls, or digs his claws into his bed with an irritating ripping sound, and digs into his cat box in the middle of the night when he's bored.

There are the ubiquitious mosquitoes, no matter how many we kill before bed, whose hell-sent little whine reaches straight into my very soul.

I am overfed on noise. I want to crawl into an isolation chamber.

We have been using our fan as a white noise machine.

I will get used to it.

JPR

5 Comments:

At 10:31 PM, Blogger Patry Francis said...

I used to do the same thing with the fan when I lived in Boston. It ran all winter.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Twilight Spy said...

Since I have the stuff for my massages, I've taken to listening to rainstorm and ocean and tibetan bowl twangers both when I go to sleep (to drown out the drunken howls and peeling-out cars) and while writing. It seems to help me focus on whatever it is I'm trying to do. Shoot me, however, if I tell you how much I love Yanni.

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Patry--it's unfair, isn't it, that the world can't be exactly the right degree of loud?

Tracy--You yanni whore! You love Yanni. Yanni and Tracy sittin' in a tree... Sorry, but you set yourself up for that. :)

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Ms. Lori said...

"...whose hell-sent little whine reaches straight into my very soul."

Snort!

I hate that noise, too, Jordan. And I also hate neighbors, for that matter.

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger atresillado said...

We don't protect ourselves enough from noises, right?
Noise pollution, as it's named.

It's interesting how we can't, voluntarily, stop listening.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home