Wednesday, March 01, 2006


Image via Purple Moon (How can you not love a site that sells "fairy stickers"?)

My mind feels like it has just been swabbed with novacaine. Dull and focus-less. I used to get this way once a week--usually on a thursday--but now I find I come to this point of incapacity much less frequently, maybe once a month. So when I do arrive at this juncture where I feel I can't think about food choices much less word choices, editing, writing or the like, I like to consider why I've reached this brain-dead place. Have I been working too hard? Is it physical (there is a tickle in my throat)? As a last resort, occasionally I turn to my horoscope.

Longtime readers will know that I was raised by the Astrology-minded. By which I do not mean dabblers, but those who speak the language of the planets fluently, and turn to their astrologer before their therapist, doctor or other practitioner. As an adult I've come and gone from astrology. I've got a couple sources from which the horoscope is always surprisingly accurate, and others that are about as accurate as the messages inside fortune cookies.

Yet as I sit here with a brain that feels like it's doing a fox-trot through melted fimo dough just to write this blog entry, and I encounter the fact that Mercury has gone retrograde today, well, I can't help but wonder.

Mercury rules the mind, communications, details and thought. My sign of Virgo is ruled by the planet Mercury (I don't know what that all really means, mind you). Therefore, we Virgos are supposed to be more affected than other signs when Mercury goes retrograde (and no I don't really know what a retrograde is, but it sounds bad, doesn't it?). Merc retrograde is a time of communication breakdowns (and mechanical ones), and is supposed to be the worst possible time to sign contracts, make commitments, life changes and the like. And yet as we speak that's exactly what's going to take place this month. Life changes, contracts signed, commitments made. Yet the astrologers all say "don't do it!"

So despite that I can FEEL this retrograde on my very brain cells, despite that communications have already started to go awry I am going to pretend that Astrology is a crock, or that there is a higher order at work that wants us to make changes, commitments and sign contracts and that it will all be for the best.

Right?

4 Comments:

At 1:55 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I am also operating on at least half of a mushy brain.

I forgot what retrograde was, so I looked it up. Apparently, it is only an illusion. Planets appear to travel one direction across the night sky, but can appear to reverse their course:

http://alpha.lasalle.edu/~smithsc/Astronomy/retrograd.html

Still, I'm functioning like I'm about three years old.

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Thanks Steph. I knew that about retrograde too once...so how much worse is that then that a retrograde period can wreak so much havoc when the planet isn't even actually moving in another direction but just appears to be?

Do you think then that retrogrades are periods when our lives appear to be going one way but are actually going another?

Sorry.Just had a massage. Not making sense.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Actually, that does make sense. It's like your life is moving in one direction and then it seems to be moving in another direction, but it's an illusion of sorts...:)

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Maryanne Stahl said...

something weird has been happening this week. young couples at school have been breaking up...


Hi, Steph!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home