Saturday, December 31, 2005

Photo via Grange Castle.








I'm almost human again!

Here's my year-end review. I stole it from Joy who borrowed it from another site. You should do it too:

Biggest accomplishment this year: There isn’t just one. I received my MFA. I finished a novel draft. I made a good income working for myself. I made breakthroughs in my relationship with my mother.

Places you visited this year: It was a very local year. I did go to Vermont for my final graduation from Bennington, and of course the requisite stop in New York, but otherwise, Sonoma and.

Best album of 2005: Aimee Mann, Lost in Space. But I also just discovered Bach violin and cello Suites as conducted by Annar Bylsma. OH these are outrageously beautiful. Break your heart beautiful.

What major anniversaries/events did you have this year? All of them, of course. E. and my birthdays, our six year wedding anniversary and five years of living in P-town.

Where did your money go this year? Eating at great wraps. Movies. Books.

Things you learned this year: That I could successfully work for myself; that gratitude feels really, really good; that I don’t have to blame others and it’s okay to feel good about myself and my achievements.

Best movie of 2005: Duh—Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire. Then, Me and You and Everyone We Know. That is a real winner!

How did you spend the birthdays of loved ones? Good fattening meals at nice restaurants.

Best books you read this year? I re-read The Magus, by Fowles and adored it. If on a winter’s night, a traveler, by Italo Calvino. Hope & Other Dangerous Pursuits, by my friend Laila Lalami. Truth & Beauty by Anne Patchett. I'm enjoying a series right now by Phillip Pullman under the title His Dark Materials. First book is The Golden Compass.

How did you spend Halloween? Walked downtown past all the decorated homes and kiddies in costumes to get tea.

Thing you are the most grateful for this year: The abundance of everything in my life. My husband, who is the most amazing person to come into my life.

What was your biggest failure? I only failed when I let fear get between me and whatever I was doing.

What do you wish you'd done more of? I wish I’d allowed myself to write more fiction freely.

What about Thanksgiving? My dad insisted on hosting. My mom and her husband came too, as did the grandparents. It was, all in all, quite nice.

Did anyone close to you give birth? Yes. High school friend, Ingrid. Bennington Buddy, Sheryl.

Did anyone close to you die? I’m happy to say no.

Did you suffer illness or injury? Nothing worth mentioning.

What do you wish you'd done less of? Worried about things I couldn’t control.

Best TV show of 2005: Lost.

How did you spend the holidays? Xmas eve at Dad’s. A MAGIC xmas morning at home just with my honey. Christmas day and night over a delicious dinner at my mom’s. It was a very, very nice holiday.

Who was the best new person you met? That’s not a fair question, they're all cool. I was thrilled to meet Emily, my neighbor down the street ‘til she moved to New York. It was great to reconnect with Whitney. Joy I met last year, but I will still count her :)

Finally, tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005: That I want to really be present in my life, and be more open to everything: love, joy, source, friendship, intimacy, etc.

3 Comments:

At 1:34 PM, Blogger Myfanwy Collins said...

Happy New Year, my friend! I'm so proud to know you. Just look at all you've done in this one year, let alone your whole life. You are a shining star.

Love,
myf

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I LOVE Aimee Mann. Love her. Love that song from Magnolia. Practically lived with it for years.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Thanks gels.

Yes, Aimee Mann is the goddess. E. and I have all her albums and have seen her twice in concert. She is amazing.

J

 

Post a Comment

<< Home