Wednesday, December 28, 2005

I had no idea you were all such party animals and vacation sloths! Look at you, three days after Christmas and you're still not at work! I know, I know, Hanukah is now in gear, but wow...am I the only one here?

I got four emails today. One was my horoscope, one was the NY Times top headlines I regularly receive, another was the buddhist quote I get daily from Tricycle magazine, and one was from a friend with her writing goals. These were all very readable and a pleasure to receive, but now that my spam blocker is ACTUALLy blocking out all my spam, my in-box truly feels lonely.

What is it about this time of year? If we were still close to nature in the way we originally were, would we be doing much of anything? Or would we be lying as close to the fire as humanly possible, stirring only long enough to toilet ourselves and shove morsels of dried animal flesh into our mouths?

It feels impossible to work, shop, drive, interact. I feel like the most that can be expected of me is to sit and read. I've been reading a lot. For pleasure, too, nothing whatsoever to do with the radio show or any kind of work. I read The Magus by Fowles, Truth & Beauty by Anne Patchett, and now I'm reading the first in a trilogy called The GOlden Compass, by Philip Pullman. I love reading! I think I'll pick up Didion's Year of Magical Thinking before I go on to book two of the Pullman series.

It's keeping me afloat in this otherwise dark (and wet) time of year. There are so many opportunities for despair this time of year, and I really feel like we are supposed to do little more than sleep and dream, yet, because we don't, we face off with the world when we are not properly available for it. Does that make sense? Our psyches are trying to shift into reverse but our lifestyles don't allow it.

Oi.

Back to work.
J

3 Comments:

At 2:06 AM, Blogger Leona Laurie said...

Jordan! I just found your comment on my breasts entry tonight. I was so happy to meet you, too. I e-mailed Nancy about getting up to read at the literary salon. Scary! I hope to see you again soon! Buck up in the office- at least you're not out in the cold, tolieting yourself on dirt and rocks.

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I do think I'm meant for little more than sleeping this time of year. I'm up to nine hours a night and heading toward ten.

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Patry Francis said...

I've been so immersed in holiday hoopla I haven't even been able to read so I envy you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home