Friday, September 02, 2005

Spam Violations

Due to the recent onslaught of a-hole spammers now linking to their cockamamie scams via comments posting, I have added another layer of complication to posting a comment. (Though I'm sure it will take about five minutes for the spammers to crack through that layer) I hope it doesn't deter you who like to post. You have to go through word verification, which, unless you have some kind of neurological condition, shouldn't be a problem.

I feel so...so violated by those jerks. Can you imagine trying to envision something like spam in my grandparents generation? The concept is so outrageous! Just like there should always be a firm separation between church and state, so should there always be a firm separation between privacy and advertising. Telemarketers should not be able to call me at home. Spammers should not be able to post false comments on my blog. There are plenty of other intrusive ways they can reach me: when I pump my gas, for instance, some stations have little screens; at the movies for fuck's sake! I used to have only bad previews to suffer through, now I have to sit through army recruitment and Hummer ads too...So, there are plenty of places where I can be tracked down, assaulted and intimidated with advertising to leave me plenty of room in the places I thought were, if not sacred, at least rightfully mine.

jeez.

JPR

4 Comments:

At 9:00 AM, Blogger Katie said...

It's amazing that spammers are finding new ways all the time to tell us things we don't even slightly care about.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

Within give minutes of starting my new blog, and I had three obnoxious spam comments. I did the same thing as you and enabled that word verification feature. What else can we do? Finding ways to outsmart the spammers and other internet criminals is a constant battle.

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Melly said...

Hear, hear!

But I think I have that neurological problem you mentioned, cause man, I sometimes have a problem with the word verification despite having to add it to my blog as well.

First timer :)

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Well, a neurological condition is perfectly legitimate :)

If it makes you feel better, I have to fill in the "word" each time too.

J

 

Post a Comment

<< Home