Tuesday, May 03, 2005

So, this was Creating Space: The Law of Attraction for Writers Workshop--

Sprawling meadows, inside which some of the workshop participants felt as though they could hear the grass growing; lucidly green hills and canopied caps of oak trees, which transformed into poetry in the participants' hands; food that made you want to sing and pray at the same time it was so tasty; the rushing noise of frogs and nighttime creatures that became more silent than silence; thirteen strangers to each other, or nearly so, gathering into the hands of two women with an idea, taking our words and in turn producing what appeared to us to be quite magnificent results. These people were amazing, and I am honored to have had them with us.

It was, in other words, a stupendous, smashing success. On a number of occasions I looked around the "farm house" room where we held our exercises and felt that funny, bursting sense of joy when you realize what a beautiful thing you've created. Usually I feel it when I read something I've written that I'm especially proud of.

What I love about the Law of Attraction is that it needs no faith. I don't have to sell you on it. If you feel like trying it on for size, you will be your own proof. I do not have to be a guru or a priest to teach it to you.

However, I will tell you to expect a book called Creating Space: the Law of Attraction for Writers, written by Rebecca Lawton and myself. It is in the works.

I was reminded over the weekend how important the process of writing is to me. I've gotten so far off into worries about being published, and dealing with my mentors, that I have let slide away the joy of writing, the thing that gives me deep, absolute pleasure. In that sense, I have let graduate school, and my desire for a "book sale" cut me off from who I really am, from what is most important to me.

However, I have completed a lecture draft I can work with.
I am very close to feeling ready with my thesis material.
I just taught a successful workshop, meeting all of my goals about it artistically and then some
I feel more energized than I can even remember
My garden is growing busily
My business is thriving

I have nothing to complain about. Nor do I want to begin complaining even if I should.

I'm ready to get back to having fun!

Don't forget to tune into Word by Word TOMORROW night, Weds. May 4th at 7 pm Pacific Time at: www.krcb.org and then clicking the "Listen" button. Or, wait for the show to be archived in a couple weeks. Philip Beard, author of Dear Zoe, and Sue Miller author of the latest novel, Lost in the Forest.

I'll have more to say soon.
JPR

3 Comments:

At 7:43 AM, Blogger Myfanwy Collins said...

Fantastic! Sounds like an enriching experience for sure. Wish I could have been there and I'm looking forward to your book on the subject.

xo
myf

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger Maurie said...

sounds like the very definition of the word "retreat".

you should post come pics about your garden...staying connected to the earth keeps one grounded (literally).

xo

m

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger Maurie said...

sounds like the very definition of the word "retreat".

you should post come pics about your garden...staying connected to the earth keeps one grounded (literally).

xo

m

 

Post a Comment

<< Home