Monday, March 21, 2005

The Stick

Myfanwy passed the stick to me:

1. You’re stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be? In line with Myf's Sci-Fi theme, "Stranger in a Strange Land," Robert Heinlen.

2. Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character? I don't know where to start. Most recently, the character of Henry from "The Time Traveler's Wife." But then, I also sort of had a crush on Claire in the same book.

3. The last book you read:

Um. Well, the very last? Probably Alison Anderson's novel, "Darwin's Wink" for Word by Word and Tom Bissell's, "God Lives in St. Petersburg."

4. What are you currently reading? The collected novels of Jean Rhys, and a biography of her, for my Bennington Lecture. Also "Other People's Houses" by Lore Segal.

5. Five books you would take to a deserted island:I hate these sorts of questions. But here goes:

"The Time Traveler's Wife"-Audrey Nifenegger

"Invisible Cities"-Italo Calvino

The Collected Fiction of Jorge Luis Borges

"The Mists of Avalon"-Marion Zimmer Bradley (yeah, I know not great literature...but that book would be so great on an island).

Grimm's Fairy Tales

I'm passing the stick onto Katie Stohlmann (www.katewaf.blogspot.com)



3 Comments:

At 6:18 PM, Blogger Myfanwy Collins said...

I need to read Time Traveler's Wife--I'm going to get it next time I'm at the library.

I'm dying to hear about what your conclusions about Rhys are. I love the Wide Sargasso Sea.

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

The conclusions about Rhys are pretty easy to assess if you read all her novels or just pick up a biography…she’s fascinating, but simple. Very simple, really. My lecture is actually about how most writers tell one or two stories over and over again, and how as writers if we come to know this material early on, we can master it and perhaps even move past some of it…I’m using Rhys as an example because she borrowed so directly and heavily from her own life (and because I'm a fiction writer, I didn't want to appropriate Sylvia Plath, since the poets claim her...though she wrote everything).

I’ll actually need an objective reader at some point…it will only be about 12 pages. Do you think you’d read it? I’ll send you chocolate!!



Xo

J

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger Myfanwy Collins said...

I'd love to read it. Send it along when you're ready.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home