Tuesday, March 08, 2005

I, Tit-head

So the other day, Erik and I were driving to visit friends in Emeryville (that's near Berkeley, CA). Something must have been happening in the city, like a premiere showing of the Vagina Monologues, or a pop-concert or something, because traffic heading toward the Bay Bridge was hell. So I began to notice the bumpers of cars in front of me, because people love to proclaim their seven-letter messages to the world from the rear of their cars, and often I'm amazed at whatever moniker or motif someone has decided sums them up best. Sure enough, a particularly amusing one caught our eyes. It was on the bumper of a large, luxury car, a Bonneville or similar. I nudged Erik. "Does that say what I think it says?"

He looked. "What do you think it says?"

"I Tit-head" (Spelling not accurate here...just wait).

He squinted. Looked closer.

Now, let me remind the reader that I'm a writer, and he is a former English teacher.

"Yup, that says I Tit-head," he agreed. We quickly got to giggling.

We arrived at our destination some twenty traffic-laden minutes later and, amused as I was about someone's decision to brand "I, Tit-head" upon themselves whenever seen in public in their car, related the story to my friends.

Now, let me point out that our friend Jesse is really smart. I mean, MENSA smart.

He asked, "How was it spelled?" I wrote it out for him.

That's "I Tithed," he said. "As in, they gave money to their church."

This was beautiful. It was now EVEN FUNNIER than before. I mean, here these poor people were trying to tell the world that they support their church, and yet, inadvertently, because we are proof of how stupid people are, they were proclaiming to the world what tit-heads they are.

I love that story every time I tell it.

Quote of the day:
(Your quote of the day has been selected at random off my bookshelf).

"Those who experience do not participate in the world. For the experience is "in them" and not between them and the world.

"The world does not participate in experience. It allows itself to be experienced, but it is not concerned, for it contributes nothing, and nothing happens to it."

From: I and thou, Martin Buber.

5 Comments:

At 9:37 AM, Blogger Myfanwy Collins said...

THAT is beautiful! Thanks for the laugh. I needed it!

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Seriously, when I'm feeling low, I think of this and it brightens my day every time! EVERY time.

Hey, how are you liking "Feast of Love" (or not)? I'd love to talk book with you about it.

J

 
At 4:30 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

That is HILARIOUS, Jordan! On the tragic side, for every one person who wants the world to know they tithed, there are at least a thousand who proudly flaunt their sense of, um, humor, with bumpers stickers that say things like, "I farted so you'd smell better." Can you imagine how much fun these people are at parties?

I actually researched dumb bumper stickers for my current novel (clearly I'm not creative enough to come up with these on my own) and found a site with thousands of them. Ain't the internet grand? In case you're interested: http://www.dumbbumpers.com/bumpers.php?site=bumpers.

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Who doesn't have a use for dumb bumper stickers! of course I will have to visit that site. Though I might be able to write some for you; I've been chastised for writing lots of cliches and "jargon" by my teacher...

J

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Who doesn't have a use for dumb bumper stickers! of course I will have to visit that site. Though I might be able to write some for you; I've been chastised for writing lots of cliches and "jargon" by my teacher...

J

 

Post a Comment

<< Home