Thursday, November 13, 2008

May This Blog No Longer Suck

I've been going about blogging thing all wrong--I've known this for a long time but have done nothing to rectify it. Part of the problem is that I first started a blog as an exercise in online journaling. I halfheartedly tried to create a blog themed to my book Make a Scene and was going to post tips and suggestions and exercises geared toward the book. Then I thought about doing the same for my book with Rebecca Lawton--Write Free. I still want to do this, but you know what they say about best laid plans. In my case, I didn't want to spend money and couldn't figure out how to scan and upload and do all the cool tech stuff that a typepad or word press blog required. (If anyone wants to trade me editing/writing services for html assistance, I'm still game!)

Another failing: I should cultivate a world-weary, semi-snarky voice that rides the edge between self-deprecation and iconoclast. I should post pithy thoughts in a McSweenys-esque tone about books I've read, popular culture and politics. Instead, my default setting is somewhere between prissy and whiny.

So while I'm unlikely to be able to do much about my tone, folks, why wait until January to make resolutions? I think the time is nigh to do things differently. I think that I'm ready for a SERIOUS blog. One where I post on a regular basis and have something to offer. So...I know I've said it before, but I'm sayin' it again: things are gonna change round these here parts.

4 Comments:

At 1:51 PM, Blogger Travis Erwin said...

I'm looking forward to whatever you come up with.

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Twilight Spy said...

I've never thought of this blog as prissy or whiny and would be sad if you became a McSweeney clone. I'm so tired of that voice. Be yourself and we'll be happy. I, for one, have been so far.

Oh...and the "word verification" word under this box right now is "blubra."
I'm feeling kind of blubra myself right now.

 
At 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez, don't be so hard on yourself Jordan. I would never refer to your tone as prissy or whining. You're inspiring, educating and thoughtful. There are already more than enough sarcastic, world-weary blogs out there. Be you.

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Thanks all of you. I'm going to keep this blog for matters of a more personal nature, like being a new mom and rants about my dysfunctional family. My new blog is a professional blog, something I've been meaning to do for a long time. I promise I won't go McSweeney's on you, though :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home