Thursday, October 09, 2008

My (In)expert Opinion

It's been mighty quiet around these parts, I know. And I'm sorry for all the leaf piles--mind your step. Believe it or not, the reason for my lack of blogging isn't purely that I have no time due to my new addition; I find that suddenly I question everything I want to write here. When I was writing my book Make a Scene I was willing to wear an "expert" suit for awhile--and I can put it on (though it fits kind of loosely) when I teach. But since becoming a mother, which teaches me daily about how little I know or am in control of, I also find that I no longer feel like an expert on writing. Oh I bring my experience to bear on my work, of course, but strangely my desire to sound important and all knowing has drained away.

And who wants to be lectured to anyway?

So that means these posts are going to start sounding more folksy and personal, I'm afraid. Maybe they always did...I know you're supposed to keep a professional blog if you've got published books but as my professional identity is shifting, I would rather write what's true and real: how I remember what it's like to carve out a sliver of time--a half hour here, twenty minutes there, to write. Before I was making time between a full time job and graduate school and a radio show, now it's the fulltime job of motherhood.

2 Comments:

At 9:49 AM, Blogger Twilight Spy said...

I've always enjoyed your posts because of their honesty and truth. How they're labeled doesn't matter. A healthy blend of expert and amateur is always welcome.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Laura Paine Carr said...

I too enjoy your posts, before, during and after baby! Words like yours will help others find their way. Writing truth with clarity and transparency never (I repeat, never) comes across as a lecture. It comes as wisdom. I look forward to checking in and reading more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home