Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Things I have learned

As I should have expected, posting about Jesus while not being a practicing Christian myself has produced some well...I don't know what to call it, among my readers. Some irritation, some frustration, some honest attempts to fill in my gaping areas of knowledge. I am reminded of what a precarious thing religion is, and how, though I will always have trouble respecting, say, anyone who calls themselves a Christian but believes that gay people are an abomination, I have to admit that faith is personal--which actually I'm really groovy with. I start to tremble in my heathen boots when religion gets used like an axe or a fish-net, which seems kinda often to me.

And if you don't adhere to one of the major religions, or "traditions" as some prefer to call some of them, people tend to believe you have no spiritual life. That you don't believe in something greater than yourself. I think there needs to be a new term for people who believe that God is not in a form that can be understood so easily, or rather, God is in every form. God just IS everything. I so wish I was John Stewart right now. He'd have a great term.

I promise we'll get back to talking about writing again.

J

8 Comments:

At 7:55 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Religions should be able to stand up to major questioning by insiders as well as outsiders. All you did was raise some interesting questions.

I've been thinking about why Jesus is so popular. I think that perhaps a bit more than other prophets he was ordinary and that makes him easy to relatable. And I don't mean ordinary in that he wasn't extraordinary, but he wasn't born to wealth or nobility as Buddha and Mohammad were. They had their own struggles, of course.

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Stephanie brings up some great reasons why people defend Jesus in the blogosphere. It also goes without saying that he has a larger market share among cultures with high-speed Internet access.

Plus, he was a cool dude.

That being said, it amazes me how many "Christians" can comprehend a resurrection yet can't fathom tolerance.

PS - Love the view out of the new office.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Ms. Lori said...

Jesus is just all right with me, Jesus is just all right, oh yeah...

Great, now that song'll be going through my head all damn day.

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Brad...thanks for your stimulating poems. Or are they songs?

I am sure they relate to the subject at hand somehow...?

J

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Renfro:

You're up for a "role" as a writer? I didn't know they "hired" writers. I thought writers just wrote.

Oh, and let me just ask my husband if he can sort through his favorite photos of me so i can hand them off to some stranger on the internet. No problem. Right.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

No, Renfro, I was being sarcastic about the photos. So now let me be direct: What sane, civilized, happily married person would do such a thing? Not me. So don't ask again.

J

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger clarkknowles said...

This E. character seem sketchy. Him sneak onto blog. Want me bash him with mastodon bone? Me will. me take care of Brad Renfro too. Him teeny bop pretty boy. You see him picture? What up wit dat?

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

You guys are carrying on just fine without me.

E. is the only one who gets pictures of me.

The rest of you...well...just carry on.

J

 

Post a Comment

<< Home