Saturday, April 15, 2006

The Jesus Bunny

Here it is coming on Easter and I haven’t thought about Jesus at all. Well, that’s a bit of a lie. I’ve thought about how and why one man in history came to absorb so much symbolic power and resonance and command the piety of millions upon millions of people across the country for centuries. I find it a bit ironic that what by today’s standards would be considered a liberal, hippie hair-farmer who’s always harping on about the underdog and for, well, Christ’s sake, supports hookers, lepers and sinners, is lauded by the Christians who disparage those same qualities in someone protesting at a peace march or lobbying for single-payer healthcare.

Why has Jesus captured the hearts of so many? I mean, don’t get me wrong, I think he was probably a really cool guy; probably told a good joke and was one of those friends who had a way of making you feel good about yourself no matter how fat your butt or bad your hair that day, and probably got on your case when you were self-deprecating, reminding you that you had to love yourself first and all. I’ll bet Jesus could make farting sounds under his armpit and even short-sheeted a few straw palates in his time. I’ll bet he was like your favorite uncle or charming older cousin.

Buddha and Mohammed were apparently quite charismatic and convincing too, though, so how did Jesus win the popularity award? Or do Christians just seem to talk louder and carry bigger sticks? (Please don't get on me about the mid-eastern terrorists thing okay? I'm not talking about fundamentalism, just garden variety religious practices).

Never having had the, uh, luxury, of being raised religious I can only speculate. I never got inculcated with a love of God or a holy spirit or drank the blood of Christ or got baptized. The few times I’ve sat in church were either with friends, or for weddings. So I know I’m not exactly the best judge of what makes someone holy, but tomorrow around the world people will be celebrating the resurrection, right? Isn’t that what Easter is about? I’m not sure what the eggs and the rabbits, or for that matter the marshmallow peeps and my favorite—Cadbury’s cream eggs--have to do with Jesus’ alleged resurrection, but hey, just call me sacrilegious.

I think I have a healthy respect for life, and my fellow human and though my sense of humor is a bit crooked, and I like irreverence as much as the next heathen, I wonder if any Christian can really refute my belief that to worship the gorgeous hillsides or the tiny shoots of daffodils that come bursting through the dirt this time of year is any less holy than worshiping a man, who probably would have preached—in my fantasy—that worship of nature is possibly the wiser path.

At least it's warm in hell; I hate being cold.

:)
JPR

8 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

I never do hyperbole very well.

J

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Fionnix said...

"Buddha and Mohammed were apparently quite charismatic and convincing too, though, so how did Jesus win the popularity award? Or do Christians just seem to talk louder and carry bigger sticks?"

I think it depends on where you are and who you ask.

Some fellow heathens and I had a giggle about Easter, too. You're not alone, Dahlin'.

Go nature. As Scott Cunningham said, "Nature is a power source."

Happy Keester.

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Thanks Rhiannon...actually, I rather wish Joy had not deleted the post--it was thoughtful, and sometimes I think I'm being silly and irreverent when I'm really being a horse's ass. I have to think more on this.

I've been accused of being wishy-washy before, and I'd just like to say that it's not wishy-washiness, but the right to decide that my original opinion needs revision.

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger Samus said...

Hyperbole? Really?

I'll try not to take it too seriously, then. Though I've always noticed, in your work, a bitterness toward organized religion, coupled with a longing for it, or at least the comfort that it seems to bring people. You are always on the outside of that stained glass window, looking in and trying to figure it out.

I'll say this: on Easter I went running, and ran past a little creek thing, and there were these ducks with their tiny ducklings swimming all together, and to me, that is Easter, that is Jesus.

 
At 6:46 AM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Samus: So you DO read this blog, eh? Yeah, Hyperbole, really.

And yes I have always had a slight contempt for organized religion; I'm not ashamed of that. I don't have contempt for anyone seeking answers or comfort, but I can't pretend to feel good about something I don't wholeheartedly.

But I really am amazed/curious/interested (and you can chalk this up to my non-religiousness) at how/why Jesus took the starring role.

At any rate...I'm content to worship ducklings for now, and brook no argument with worshippers of other faiths.

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Samus said...

Until Christianity, religion was a fairly geographical thing. The Jews were some of the first documented nomadic people to take their god with them, because gods tended to be tied to the earth. There are mentions in the Old Testament of people taking dirt from places with them to other places; it was like transporting god.

Anyway, although everyone always thought they were right and everyone else was wrong, Christianity was one of the first religions to encourage its followers to spread it.

So, Jesus got big.

And yeah, I do sometimes read, when I have time! These days, time is hard.

And grats on the new place. It looks lovely.

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Samus:

I like the idea of transporting god in the dirt. Now THAT works for me.

thanks for the 'grats.

i liked your post on porpoises. It's good to have a sense of porpoise.

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger clarkknowles said...

What exxactly is a hair farmer? Does it got something to do with Llamas?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home