Thursday, October 06, 2005

See, I knew once I allowed the randomness in, it would spill over. So here it is.

People do not fart enough in literature.

Do you notice this? Oh sure, they get dysentery and arsenic poisoning (which MUST lead to bad gas, don't you think?), but how often, to lighten a dark scene, does someone actually break wind? Talk about your comic relief! Not very often. In fact, except for some Beverly Cleary books or the like, I don't think I can recall a single moment of flatulence in any book I've ever read. Can you? If you can, please post a comment here.

I think this is very important. If literary figures do not fart, what does this mean about our ability to accept our humanness?

Okay. Well I've made myself laugh and that's all that counts.

JPR

4 Comments:

At 1:52 PM, Blogger katrina said...

I have a story out in the submssion process that has flatulence. :)

Kat

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger Myfanwy Collins said...

My father, who was a master, used to call it "crepiting". As in, "to crepitate".

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

Okay, that does it. Tomorrow I am making someone in my novel fart at an inopportune moment! (Is there an opportune moment for a fart?)

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Nothing like farting to engage the conversation!

Joy: but I meant ADULT literature!
Kat: I want to read it!
Myf: Crepitating?? My father called them "California Barking Spiders."
Ellen: I will ever more deeply adore you if you add a fart scene to your novel!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home